My Lawn has a lot dead or burnt grass why?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rgn2001, Jun 8, 2006.

1. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

My lawn has a lot of dead grass and I can't understand why. A few weeks ago the grass was mostly green, now I have a lot of patches off what appears to be dead or burnt grass. Water is not an issue because we have had tons of rain. I am on Scotts 4 Step program. I have done the first 2 steps and step 2 was done in early May. I did not over apply it either. Overall the grass is growing well as I have to mow every 3 or 4 days. One other note...I did have a lot of crab grass so I applised Weed-B-Gone about a month ago. I have close up pictures attached and one of the pictures shows what the lawn looks like from further away.

Thanks for any help.

:)
    Rob

DSC01870.JPG

DSC01871.JPG

DSC01872.JPG

2. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

chinch bugs maybe

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like a turfgrass disease, probably red thread or possibly doller spot. Too much moisture can increase the likelihood of either, if it does not improve try a granular application of Bayleton fungicide.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Defiantly disease probably read thread caused from all the rain, it should clear up as the weather changes but you can use a fungicide. is the lawn under fertilized? I see alot of red thread in lawns that look like the need a shot of fertilizer.

5. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

bayleton or cleary's 3336g,plus a nice slow release fertilizer, lesco's 24-0-11 50% ppscu, or a slower release, 21-3-21 75% ppscu

6. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

I doubt what you are seeing is crabgrass in NY! We are just seeing it in NC now!Weed b gone won't kill it anyway. Back to your original question, it is definitely a disease. Probably redthread.

7. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

Its Red Thread, the Upstate Albany area is having a huge problem with it. I had 5 calls Friday after a story on the morning news on channel 6. Hopefully some sun will shine this week. We do have some crabgrass but it's only in the first tiller stage. Weather is slowing it down.

8. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

Is it possible I over applied Weed-B-Gon??? That is what I am thinking, but if it is indeed readthread, what can I purchase to help the situation? Also if I overapplied Weed-B-Gon, what could I purchase to help as well?

Thanks,
    Rob

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

It defiantly looks like red-thread! if you overapplied weed control you would want to water the heck out of the lawn. but since it is most likely red-thread that would be the worst thing you could do. you can apply a fungicide, but it should come out of it on its own. a good application of slow release n fertilizer with Iron will help bring it out faster

10. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

can you recommend a product I can buy at the store that will work? Also how do I know for certain this is red thread?

Thanks,

Rob