1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my lawn has rows in it you missed some.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Oct 15, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i never got a complaint from her before but i get a call from a so so cust this morning and she says i didnt cut very well yesterday because i missed alot. i say ok i will come over and you can show me. well i get there and dont see a problem then she comes out and says see there its dark green then light green all in rows.i chuckled and said i striped it just like i do everytime i mow.she says yeh i know but it dosent look good.it looks like you missed everyother pass.i said lets go to the other end of the lawn and you can see the stripes are just the opposite and that i indeed did not miss anything.so now she wants me to cut it like the last lco who went around in circles like nascar.i told her that i get alot of compliments on a nicely striped lawn and she said that other people would not hire me if they saw a lawn that i striped like that.oh well 1 complaining cust out of many aint bad i guess but it still pizzed me off that she says i did such a bad job when i go out of my way everytime i am there to do little extras to help make her lawn and landscape look great.what ever i justed wanted to vent on that.
  2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

ah thats a good one. So are you going to keep cutting it like you have been?
  3. befnme

dont know what to do just yet i could use the money but now i have to let every one see me cutting in a trashy fashion if i do continue to cut her the way she wants.then if some one see all those circle marks in her lawn and asks her who done it then she will say me and that could be a bad thing.;)
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get rid of her-this kind isnt happy no matter what. another account will come your way to replace her if you do quality work
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Until I found LS I did not know what the heck a stripe was! I could see me striping a yard full of weeds for a bottom feeder uh customer here.:D I know I would get insulted big time. Can hear it now "what the h-ll did you do to mess up my lawn like that". I guess its just a northern thing. Seriously if the lady did not want you doing it I would do it like she wanted. Im all for passing on unreasonable request but I dont think that its unreasonable (or not here anyway). I have never seen one, zilch, nada yard striped here. Would have to stop and inspect it if I did.
  6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

In our area all our customers and others we see want a "brushed carpet" unidirectional and uniform cut. I think if we striped we would get the same reaction from them as you did from this account. How much hassle is it to remove your striper kit for just one lawn?
  7. befnme

sounds like what i will do.she's not a pita at all.this is my first complaint from her.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

She sounds like she was raised on that cornbread.
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had the same situation this year. She wanted me to stop also. I told her that is was not possible. I do mow a different direction each week to minimize the stripe effect. She has not said anything since the spring. It really irritated me because she really had a nice lawn that looked great striped.

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest