my lawn is a little yellow. when can i lime?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass disaster, Sep 21, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i seeded some areas,fert., aerated my lawn about 2 weeks ago.
    the seed grew awesome.

the lawn is a little on the yellow side. what gives? possibly too much rain lately, with no sunny drying weather??????

i didn't put down very much fert. just a light sprinkle 5-29-31(something close to that)

when should i put down some lime. i might also put down some more fert. i didn't put much down last time?

2. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the PH? that will tell u IF u need to lime. If u need lime than u can apply it anytime.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your seedlings for Rust fungus. The weather is right and I have noticed a bloom of fungus on most newly seeded turf areas. And your starter fert should be more in the 18-24-12 range...

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if you were going to lime, when the soil was open after aerification would have been the best time. But, you can still go at it if need be now?what is the ph of the soil?

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have a soil test done, that will give your your base pH. Here in CT we always have acidic soil, so if you were around here I would tell you to go ahead and lime away. Not sure what set of conditions you have in Sunny Minnesota.
    As far as yellowing turf goes, it sounds hungry. Give a shot of good quality fertilizer.Another shot of starter won't hurt, but I'd switch to one with more N.

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

a soil check would be a good start....your ph may be fine... soil may be lacking iron....if it is a lack of iron and you add lime you may end up solidifying the iron you do have and making the problem worse......start with a soil test is what I'm trying to say!

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If its brand new, and it has been wet, I bet its rust. Its time to refertilize right now, anyway. Hit it again, and then hit it again in 2 to 3 weeks.