1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My lawn is dying!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Apr 4, 2006.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer whos side lawn is part dead. It looks how crabgrass looks after it dies for the season but its zoshia/bermudua. Its not dormant its dead. I looked for grubs and nothing and no signs of insects. I don't know what to tell the guy and I'm afraid if whatever it is spreads im in trouble. The weeds are growing fine in the area now and I don't think its been like this all winter either.
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

did you check to see if the crowns of the grass is still alive? not sure on when you started cutting but maybe snow mold. really would need to see a picture of the area in question.
  3. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

Check the roots. Dig down 3 or 4 inches and see if they are still pliable and soft? Does it look like the roots are still alive? Did you have a really hard winter there? Did the neighbor spray round up on it?
    Take a chunk of it to the local nursery and see if they have any ideas.
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys have some good points. My first thing when I got there was that the neighbor sprayed round up onit. He has a nice green Tall fescue lawn and this guy has a mix of zoshia and other junk. The only problem with the theory is A) No seeds were down B) kind of a weird shape and to much missed stuff hard to explain.

I think snow mold could be a posibilty from reading stuff on here. I will take a pic tomorrow and call my fert guy and see what he knows.