My lawn looks like a field

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jwey71, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jwey71

jwey71 LawnSite Member

I am looking for some help on my yard. I have about 5 acres and it looks like a field. I have put down some miracle-gro fertilizer down without any weed killer in it and some grass seed about a month ago. I was wondering if there were any speedy secrets to make it look more like luscious green turf.

What would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks

Jeff

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

What do you mean "it looks like a field"? Do you mean you have pasture/field grass that you built a house on?

3. jwey71

jwey71 LawnSite Member

It looks like a soccer field

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Five acres of Miracle-Gro, eh? I just pulled out one of my box's of regular Miracle-Gro 15-30-15 fertilizer. It states that one gallon will cover 25 square feet... that's all, and needs to be reapplied after 4 weeks. The 15% nitrogen has 8.2% quick release and 6.8% slow release; not extremely high for greening up your turf in a hurry, but that's okay. If you fertilized with this same "recipe", then the 30% phosphoric acid should of been good for the new seedlings.

How fast the turf greens up depends upon the ratio you used, #N per 1000 s.f., the temperature, watering practices, and other factors.

Liquid fertilizers leach through the root zone quickly and need to be reapplied often. I'd put a granular fertilizer down now. And... there are high nitrogen, quick release, fertilizers that will green up the turf in a hurry, but you have to be careful, especially if your five acres are not irrigated. You could easily easily burn and ruin the grass. If you can irrigate, or know for certain that it will rain promptly, then perhaps you could go this route with 20%> quick release nitrogen such as ammonium sulfate or urea nitrogen.