"my lawn looks like a piece of sh@#t!!!!"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 21, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he wanted a program, i sold him one (ferts and treatments only). i told him flat out, if you don't water, THIS program wont work. "oh, i'll water just like you say." yup, oookkkk. i drive by often, to find him hand watering with a hose, standing there squirting the lawn. my instructions were simple, "i want the lawn watered, with a SPRINKLER, for 1.5 hrs per session, PER ZONE, 3 days a week." simple, very simple. the program is pre paid. he is not following my instructions, in my opinion he destroyed his own lawn. i applied as i said i would, he didn't do his part. i intended to go foward with the rest of the program, even though it won't do any good. he calls, and gets vulgar on the phone, "my lawn looks like a piece of sheeet, you made promises, you said my lawn would look great, you didn't follow thru, i have your contract right in front of me, you are useless! i want to see you here tommorow morning first thing!" now, to tell the truth, i don't want to do the rest of the program. it won't do any good anyhow, and, i'm sure he'll expect FREE seeding in the fall to correct his screw up. i aint down with people getting nasty with me on the phone. i followed the program, it's dates, everything as per our contract. he, did not follow the watering instructions. what would you do? refund anything? fix the lawn for free? my intention at this point is to offer him the unused portion of the program, FOR NEXT YEAR, after he gets somebody else to repair the mess. either that, or just blow him off completely
  2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's simply a lack of water and drought stress then watering should return it to normal. If you are saying there's too much watering and therefore fungus city (not to mention all the humidity) then sell him fungicide!
  3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Follow through with your contract and don't worry about it.

You owe him nothing for free.

However, you could over to give him an old sprinkler and timer.
  4. bobbygedd

from NJ

ahhh, serious stress, grass gets weak, more weeds appear....should i treat the weeds for free? it goes a bit further than just a little browning
  5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

just explain to him HIS part again and see if watering will help. Thats about all you can do. And just have all your documentation of when, what and times you made the apps.
  6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been on this site much lately, but, is Bobby getting a soft spot?
    Meet with him and tell him how it is. Sell him a basic irrigation system that will water his front yard that you can expand on when he sees its benefits.
    The problem with blowing him off is that he will get someone else next year and we will have a wet summer and his yard will look great.
    Go and show him the gaping cracks in his yard.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Understandingly so, standing out there with a garden hose is PROBABLY not puttimg down adequate water...as a matter of fact, it is probably doing more harm than good by watering too shallow, which drives the root system shallow. However, depending on how much area he is covering/per his water output, and hour and a half per area is probably a bit extreme. I would think it wouldn't take that much per area 3 times per week. Usually, 10 to 20 minutes per area is adequate time to get the needed amount of water down in the soil. With a hose, perhaps 30-40 minutes.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

now you know your statement is very broad. doesn't it depend on the soil condition/type? i also told him i want it cut at 3+ ", and the clippings discharged back into the lawn, i'm not sure that was being done either. it looked a bit low a few times. ah, screw him, think i'll just blow him off
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No I am sorry, that is not simple.

Simple is OFF or ON

but i agree, just follow your contract thing and don't worry about it.

the way I fixed the watering problem, I adjusted my fert progs to be entirely rain-dependent because I found you can not count on a customer watering their yard any different than whatever it is they do, except perhaps with a sprinkler SYSTEM you stand a CHANCE (but no guarantees).
    if you ask them to change their pattern of life, you're asking too much.
    that's been my experience.
  10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

10-20 minutes??? Maybe thats good enough in your area but in my neck of the woods I set up systems to run at least 25 minutes 5-6 days a week. When it gets dry out I bump them up to 45 minutes per zone. I have one that's 24 zones...you do the math and be glad it's not your water bill.

Bobby, tell the old goat to wizz up a rope.