My lawn needs your help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by keastland, Aug 15, 2007.

1. keastland

keastland LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner with a problematic yard. I have a problem with ants (as well as other critters), crab grass, and other broadleaf weeds.

I went out to the local Home Depot and bought some ant killer, weed killer (with crabgrass), and some fertilizer. All 3 of these are the spray on variety that I can just hook up to my hose.

My question is in what order should I apply these and how long should I wait between applications? My thinking is that I should kill all the critters (ants) first as they are doing the damage underneath that is allowing the weeds to take over. Then apply the week killer. Then apply the fertilizer. Suggestions?

Also, after finding this site this morning and reading, I'm getting the sense that I'm your everyday homeowner that goes to Home Depot to purchase my products, but there are better options (I keep reading about Drive). Where should I be shopping for my products.

Thanks for all your help!

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a question... Why are you considering applying fert this late in the summer? Fert is usually applied in the early spring, or fall.

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you need to hire a professional service. Ants do not damage turf though other turf damaging insects are preventable & ants might not be as prevalent had the lawn been properly treated all year.

We don't know enough about your lawn (soil type, pH, grass types, irrigation, sun, shade, etc) to make valid corrective recommendation here.

4. keastland

I'm not a pro, just your average homeowner and I figured that after putting down all the chemicals meant to kill things, it might do some good to put down some fertilizer. But I should wait? Is there a temperature range I want to wait for before fertilizing?

I'm planning on doing some aeration (sp?) this fall as well as getting a truck load of dirt to spread around the lawn (to even it out) as well as top seeding. This house (including the yard) was neglected for years prior to me buying it. I've had Tru-Green out many times, but my lawn looks no better than the yard next to me where there is just a little old lady who does nothing!

So apparently I should wait for the fertilizer, but how 'bout the other two? Which one first and how long do I wait between them?

Thanks,

5. keastland

Haha ...your right that it wouldn't be in such bad shape had it been properly treated ...but that goes well beyond this year.

As to what type of grass, pH, soil type; I have no clue! As I've said, I'm just a homeowner looking for some broad knowledge/help, not specifics. In particular, what order do I apply my treatments (ant/insect killer and Broadleaf/Crabgrass killer) and how long do I wait between applications?

The reason I'm going after the ants is because I can't lay down in my yard without getting covered in them. Also, there are many mounds of dirt around the yard that the ants have made that don't look very attractive.

I've had Tru Green out many times (as I said in a previous post) and they have never tested the pH or done anything like that. Are there better options?

6. keastland

After doing a lot of reading on here, I looked up Lesco and found that there is a shop just a few miles from my house. I'm going to bring a soil sample down there hopefully this afternoon to get it tested. I'm also going to bring a chunk sod so they can tell me what type of grass I have too.

I'll post the finding later and hopefully some of you will be able to help me out a little more.

Thanks everyone.

7. keastland

OK, so I brought the soil sample over to Lesco. They have to send it off to Ohio for analysis. However, I did find out;

a. The soil "looks good" and they all wish that they had soil like it.
    b. The grass is Kentucky Bluegrass (recognizable by the way it looks like the front of a canoe at the tip ...I'm learning. I'm also tempted to make a Caddyshack reference.).

While I was there I talked to them about Drive and they were steering me towards another product called Q4 (http://www.pbigordon.com/professional/page.php?id=505) that works for grassy weeds (including my crabgrass) and broadleaf. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback about this product? I was reading on it that you can mix it with liquid fertilizer too, so I could get both done in one application.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'll upload the results of the analysis when I get it next week.

Thanks,

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

There's really no point for you to use a liquid fertilizer. Go with a granular, 50% coated, but wait about a month before you do it. Liquid weed control usually only needs to be spot treated, otherwise it's wasteful and uneccesary.

What are your average daytime temps right now?

9. keastland

As of today, it's starting to cool down. The temp right now (at 1:33pm) is 74. Looks like we'll be fluctuating between the high 60's and 80 for the next 10 days or so.

OK, so per the feedback on this board I'm going to wait to apply fertilizer till sometime in Sept.

I'm probably going to fork out the high price for the Q4 so that I can hopefully really kill all the weeds this year. My goal is to put my house on the market right away in the spring, so I want my yard looking it's best.

Any other ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

to be honest, since your going to sell the house in the spring, forget about the crabgrass for now, it will die off in the fall as the frost sets in. if your using lesco, get there 'lesco 3-way ester' and if the temps are going to stay in the 70's spray the lawn, then apply a 46-0-0 in say mid to late october @ about .75# N. in the spring, apply a pre-emergent fert like 18-2-10 w/ dimenssion, your lawn will most likly look the best on the block (color wise). as for the ants, i use 'seven' you can buy it at home depot or wal-mart, it works very well for me, and it's applied as a dry granular right out of your spreader.