My lawn - not sure?? Browning

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by meets1, Oct 18, 2012.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey there. Being in this business I keep our lawn looking great. I water with irrigation, 5 steps per year. I hauled in a ton of black soil so it would be good to go. The last two weeks I notice that it is browning, just not sure why? Everyone elses yards are smoked due to heat this year but there slowly turning back to green while my lawn is turning brown. I am still irrigating 3 times a week, 15 minutes per zone.

Got me doing this business I just don;t have an anwser or I am overlooking something. Any info or guesses to what it is.

I can't get picture as I lost our digital camera - not happy about that one.

2. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Stop the water and see how it does. Grass does not want to have top growth right now so dont make it grow. Work on the roots getting deeper.
    With the watering that you are doing mow i bet the roots are not even 3 inches deep.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If you've done shallow watering all summer long then the cooker weather probably isn't helping your lawn as much as the ones greening up... here in WI the drought continued into the sever mode up until last week... there are lots of possibilities, but I'd say R&R is on to something and therefore would look into the root zone and see what's happening...

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I think the roots look fine. I dug into them tonight but maybe your right. What are your suggestions for deeper root growth this time of year?

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Soil in your area is excellent. You can't miss...HOWEVER...I suspect you may have rust disease. It is common in fall. It is particularly serious on perennial ryegrass. It gives your grass a bright yellow appearance. Red dust forms on your shoes.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/turffungaldis.html

6. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Some of my yards got hit pretty good with rust. My mower became orange along with my boots
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Check for Leaf Spot or Brown Patch Diseases. Look for close up pictures of them on the internet and compare those to what you have. A lot of lawns in my area got wracked with it during the second week of August and while they've recovered somewhat, some seeding needed to be done for sure in order to repair them.

8. Smallaxe

The simplest thing in the world... let the surface of the soil dry out between irrigation events, but when you do water be sure that it gets deep enough to provide moisture below the root zone(generally 6" is adequate)...

You actually looked at the roots and the soil... wow!!!
    Most people rely on their preconcieved notions, assumptions and imagination to understand what's going on below the surface... :)

9. Do a soil test, 3 " depth, get recommendations
    Logan labs in Ohio

10. Smallaxe

Why would someone in Iowa, use Logan Labs in Ohio??? Are you hawking for Logan Labs??? :)