My lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobbyKnight, Aug 19, 2004.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

Just wanting to get some thoughts and opinions on this. Mowing lawns is not what I do for a living, but I do have 8 lawns (mostly family) that takes me approximately 4 1/2 hours to take care of, and I make $175/week from these. Anyway, my question is about my own lawn. Four years ago I purchased 8 acres to build a new home on. 4 of the 8 acres I mow (John Deere 54 in. Z-track w/ a 23 horse Kaw.). On this property prior to my buying it, a local farmer kept some of his cattle. It looks much better than what it did 4 years ago, but that is only due to regular mowing. My problem is that the grass grows so fast...I guess due to the natural fertilizer from the cows. Also, I just don't have a lot over good grass. Mostly a lot of thick broadleaf stuff and fescue. Besides starting from scratch, does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do to improve my lawn? I think it is a beautiful setting, but my lawn needs some work. Right now it looks like a hay field. I mow approx. every 4-5 days, and I just have a bunch of dead grass lying on top of my lawn. What can I do to get rid of this problem and have a better looking lawn. If it helps, I live in southeastern Indiana. Summer temps. range in 80's with a lot of humidity. However, this year we have had a cool summer with a lot of rain except for lawn saw its first drop of rain last night for the first time in almost three weeks. I see some of the great lawns that our in my area, and I would like mine to look the same. I have a stripping kit, but what is the use if I have a bunch of grass lying on top of my can't see the stripes? What are some secrets a rookie like myself should know about? Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

How high are you mowing it?

I won't mow it less than 4" in height. If it is still growing too fast, try mowing it every 5 days.

I mow a vacant farm property, 3 acres, every Sat. Fastest growing grass of any of lawns I mow. It is never fertalized and is full of weeds. Yet each week when I return to mow it still shows last weeks stripes.

If you have at grass deflector on your deck, open it up so the grass blows. I have no deflector and I throw the grass 6 to 8 ft from the mowing deck. This really cuts down on the grass clumping. Also the increase mowning height will allow more room for the grass clippings to "sink" between the blades of freshly cut grass.

Tommorrows rain should help get rid of grass clippings laying on top of your yard.

Greetings from Jackson County.