My lawn

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobbyKnight, Aug 19, 2004.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

Just wanting to get some thoughts and opinions on this. Mowing lawns is not what I do for a living, but I do have 8 lawns (mostly family) that takes me approximately 4 1/2 hours to take care of, and I make $175/week from these. Anyway, my question is about my own lawn. Four years ago I purchased 8 acres to build a new home on. 4 of the 8 acres I mow (John Deere 54 in. Z-track w/ a 23 horse Kaw.). On this property prior to my buying it, a local farmer kept some of his cattle. It looks much better than what it did 4 years ago, but that is only due to regular mowing. My problem is that the grass grows so fast...I guess due to the natural fertilizer from the cows. Also, I just don't have a lot over good grass. Mostly a lot of thick broadleaf stuff and fescue. Besides starting from scratch, does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do to improve my lawn? I think it is a beautiful setting, but my lawn needs some work. Right now it looks like a hay field. I mow approx. every 4-5 days, and I just have a bunch of dead grass lying on top of my lawn. What can I do to get rid of this problem and have a better looking lawn. If it helps, I live in southeastern Indiana. Summer temps. range in 80's with a lot of humidity. However, this year we have had a cool summer with a lot of rain except for recently...my lawn saw its first drop of rain last night for the first time in almost three weeks. I see some of the great lawns that our in my area, and I would like mine to look the same. I have a stripping kit, but what is the use if I have a bunch of grass lying on top of my lawn...you can't see the stripes? What are some secrets a rookie like myself should know about? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

do you mulch with your z track?