My Lazer Z HP is dead!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tynash, Sep 8, 2004.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Lazer Z HP mower with some issues. Any help that anyone would be able to provide would be a great help

Here is the deal. The PTO has some times taken a few minutes to engage. This has been happening for the past several weeks. Then all of the sudden, The mower will not start on cold starts. So I figure the battery is dead so I buy a new one, now 1 week later it will not start and the PTO takes a while to engage.

This is what I figure, the battery is not charging for some reason. It seems like the Clutch needs just enough voltage to engage. But, if the battery is not fully charged, then all the power is taken a way when starting and the Clutch does not have enough power to engage. Does this make sence???

So I have come to the realization that I need to replace the alternator, only problem is that I do not know where it is or how to replace it. How much might this cost for the part.

Does anyone else have any better ideas on what could be going on here?

Thank you again for any feedback.

Tyler

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You need to post this in the eXmark forum or call the factory and talk to Fred, Dustin or Terry. I bet they can help you figure it out quickly.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Usually if the pto takes a while to engage, or you disengage it and have to wait for it to cool to engage again it usually means the pto is on it's way out. Also if the battery keeps dying and your not leaving the key on or something like that, then my guess would be it has something to do with the alternator. It may not be the alternator itself, but something.

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

idk about exmarks but on my dixie the battery would go dead, i'd have to charge it everyweek (thats what the gentlemen who i bought it from told me) anyway, my mechanic said needed a new Stator and rectifior (or something like that, all i know is thats what i was told it needed so i bought it and got it put on). and now its fine.... so maybe you need a.... dont quote me.... stator and rectifier? (im sure some vets will know what im talking about and will shed more light upon it)

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Could be a short in the PTO circuit. If the PTO takes more than a couple of seconds to engage then it is probably drawing too much current (shorted) and that will drain the battery. Pull the PTO off of the mower and have it tested at a dealer.

6. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Have no ideas or know anything about the pto ..i just bought mower this year and bought it new so i'm just reading what you guys have to stay from deffrents thing ......learn everyday knwo matter how long you been in business ,,,,,,,,,Good Luck Guys ,,,,,,

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the fuses. I had this happen to me once and it turned out to be a blown fuse. No big deal. good luck.

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i repair exmarks and sell them.and it sounds like you have two problems here
    1 it sounds like you clutch is on the way out how many hours on it?
    2 check your rectifier it could be the stator "under the flywheel" but i dont replace those often

9. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

The mower has about 1000 hours on it. I am going to check the fuse today, if that is not the problem then I will be taking it in.

Thank you all for all the input.