1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My leaf blower died.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Appalachian landscape, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I drove all the way across town to put down some grass seed. I wanted to blow all the debris off the lawn before I started, to get the leaves and dog poo away. I started my blower and it would run, but if I pushed the throttle any it would start to die. I thought maybe it was cold, so I let it run for over 30 min, and it still had the same problem. I did notice if I covered the air intake that it would pick up and run a little better. My blower is an echo 403T that was purchased on Aug 25, 04. Well, so much for making any money with the seed.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The Blower is Not "DEAD" Pull the spark arrester out and adjust the air.fuel mixture it will run fine after that
  3. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Agree. Spark Arrestor is most likely clogged.
  4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with my echo. Got it fixed through warranty and then got a redmax.
  5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I agree on the spark arrestor. Sounds like it is probably clogged and just needs a good spring cleaning. Should work fine. If not, it is probably still under warranty as it is less than a year old.
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems kinda new to be a spark arrestor problem. One of the needles in the carb could be clogged. Did you put stabil in it before storing it?
  7. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I use stihl premium mix and it says it has fuel stabilizer in it. It really hasn't seen much of a storage. I've used it at least weekly through the winter. I think the longest it sat without being started might be 10 days, and a whole tank of gas was ran through biweekly or so.
  8. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

spark arrester
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Throw all the gas away and start new. Take the air cleaner out and be sure that the fuel filter is not clogged. Check to be sure the plug is gaped and try again. I don't think there is a carb adjustment is there? If it is adj it in/out until it run smoothly. Units with non-adjustable carb have problems running in both high/low temp conditions. That is a good model you should be okay.
  10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

403's have carb adjusting screws a high and a low sometimes dirt gets in there and they need to be turned in all the way then back out be careful they have plastic caps this usually takes care of problem . also make sure plug is not fouled out , air filter clean ,and gas cap and vent are clean ,if all else fails they do have a 2 year warranty on them