1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My leaf loader caught FIRE yesterday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ExecutiveLawns, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

So there I was had 1 big pile of leaves left in a townhouse complex that originally had like 13 or 14 probably had just enough room in the trailer that for this last pile an I heard the engine on my Trac-Vac leaf loader start to sputter an as I turned around I saw smoke and fire coming from the fuel tank side of my leaf loader. so I ran to 1st shut the motor off and then try to put it out with a fire extinguisher that I carry in the truck but it kept flaming back up and my extinguisher was out so I had to call 911 to get fire truck out there to help cause all I could picture in my mind was my whole trailer going up in flames cause it was full of dry leaves. well the fire trucks came and put a little water on it and sprayed the leaves a little bit so a spark wouldnt fly off as i was going down the road and start the leaves on fire. So a 1 hour job turned into a 2 hour job and when I got back to my shop I had to tare the loader apart to find out what all burned and what I needed to replace. well 1 day and about $800.00 later I have it back up and running and sucking up leaves like a champ.

Make sure you keep all leaves and debris away from hot motor!

I am glade it happened to me instead of one of my guys

I will post some pics tomorrow
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Did you have to pay for the fire call?
  3. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

I dont think so, the firefighters didnt say anything, they did take down my name and address and other info so i guess i will see here in teh next couple days if a bill shows up in the mail.
  4. ha305

ha305 LawnSite Member

I pretty sure you dont pay for the fire department to come
  5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

And there is another lesson that I hope no one on here learns the hard way and that is NEVER fill a hot engine. :blob2:
    ericg likes this.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

NEVER fill a "HOT" engine with what? What does the fill mean?
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

8. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

no you don't have to pay for the fire dept. (i'm a firefighter full time)
  9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

ericg likes this.