My LED install: What a Trip!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I installed a backyard/dock/deck system today for one of my current customers. On this install, I decided to use the LED deck lights (1.9w each) because of the long, multi-level dock leading to the deck on the water. I always do my calculations at my desk before arriving at the job site, and I knew that I could "theoretically" pull this off but I just didn't feel comfortable about it. I daisy chained 14 deck lights (with a 35w MR16 about half way down the run). When I powered it up, I had 12.3v at the first fixture and 11.7v at the end of the 150 string using the 14v tap. Only 6/10ths difference in 150'!!! This put my MR16 halogen at 12v, so I backed it down to the 13v tap. As I finished the job, I found myself staring at it in amazement. I don't daisy chain, and the word makes me cringe, but with the parameters of LEDs being between 8 to 15v anything is possible. It is almost ridiculous how far you can string these lights along and still have the voltage within the limits.
    As long as these things will hold up over time, I'm sold on the concept!

2. jshimmin

jshimmin LawnSite Member

What fixture and bulb combo did you use?

3. Chris J

I used the Kichler 15765BE. It's an LED fixture, not a replaceable lamp. I'm going back tonight for the final adjustments of the tree illuminations, and I'll let you all know about the color temp and aesthetics. I wish I had a camera right now. This back yard is going to look amazing!

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

24v gives you alot of the same freedom!!

Post up some pics Chris!!

5. Chris J

If I had used a 24v system, would I still be able to daisy chain 15 lights out to 150' and still have proper voltage to the first, last and 35w halogen in the middle? If it were a 24v system, the lights would have to be 7w to provide the same effect/result so the total lamp load would be 133w. Would it work? I don't have any calculators for a 24v system, and I don't know the parameters/specifics on the voltage range.

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

That's great Chris, I can't wait to see some pics.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Hope to see some pics!!

8. Chris J

Anybody got a good used camera for sale. I looked at Costco for a camera I think I'd like, but the cost is $1200 to $2000. What's better for our purposes? Canon Rebel XSi 12.2mp, Canon 40D 10.1mp or Nikon D300 12.3mp?

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have a Canon Powershot S5 IS. I think it works fine. It was only $400 bucks on Amazon i believe...But of course there are better ones id love to have. But they cost well over a grand...

10. Chris J

I just got back from the adjustment session and it looks great. The color of the LED deck lights is perfect, but man do those things pack a punch. Nice warm color but It's almost too bright. I would probably have a problem with it, but she is elderly and the higher light level will help her navigate the path down to her dock. The customer is tickled pink, and I expect to get some calls from the surrounding houses as well as from across the lake especially.