My locally available compost is a joke!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BartonLawn, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BartonLawn

BartonLawn LawnSite Member

Jefferson City runs a yard waste recycling center which I think is a great idea! Except for the problem that those in control of things either don't know what they're doing, or they don't actually care.

The average sample of compost they produce is about 30% chewed wood chunks, 5% rocks, and the rest is dirt and weed seeds.

One of the biggest gardening mistakes I've made recently was to use about 4 pickup loads of this stuff in a new ornamental garden I put in 3 years ago. I'm now fighting weed types I didn't know existed. :cry:

Never again! :hammerhead:

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Barton Lawn,

See my post in the other thread. It's funny you mention that. I attended a talk by the head of the Springfield composting program. In the Q&A, Merv Wallace (owner of Missouri Wildflowers Nursery) made almost exactly the same comment about the Jeff City program. The woman that runs Springfield's plant just grinned like she'd heard it all before. She and her staff turn out some great compost and mulch. Here's a link.
    http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/community/recycling/yardwaste.html

3. BartonLawn

BartonLawn LawnSite Member

I'm jealous, seriously the material produced here isn't worth hauling away. Oh I suppose a person could screen it and finish it, but damn, that's what Twehous is being paid for. :hammerhead: