My MacGyver moment

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Hanau, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Came out of the Docs office and my rig wouldn't start. After some investigating I determined that the ignition key switch thingy was broken.

So I took an old extension cord out of the toolbox and cut it in half and stripped the insulation off both ends. Then I hooked one half to the positive terminal of the battery. Connected the other half to the start relay. Ran the wires through the pasenger door and into the cab.

Turned the key to the run position and then plugged both halves of the cord together. Relay closed, starter engaged, and the truck fired up. Unplugged the cord and the starter stopped spinning and the truck stayed running.

Sweet! I am the **** yo! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

So, how do I get the steering wheel off so I can get at the switch and replace it? I need some sort of jawed pulling thing right?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

yep it is actually called a wheel puller

3. Hanau

If I go to NAPA and ask for a wheel puller they'll know what I'm talking about?

4. Dodge2

Dodge2 LawnSite Member
    from ottawa

yeah, thats the proper name.

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

more like steering wheel puller, but okay..

6. mudmaker

mudmaker LawnSite Member

I don't think you have to pull the steering wheel to get to the ignition switch. The cover around the column should come off with a couple of screws and if you need to pull the actual key switch out it pulls out as long as the key is in it.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same problem with my old 77 Ford I ended up putting a push button in the cab to activate the relay on the fender it worked.

What year of truck is this ?

If its a 80s truck you don't have to pull the wheel it all can be done by removing the plastic around the steering wheel. There is a long rod from the key that goes down to a switch that is under the dash. My dad had the same problem with his 1980 Ford. You strip the panels off the bottom of the dash and you will see a switch with a metal rod attached to it.

They are common to fail I forget what the cost of the part is I wonder if you can even get one.

If you can turn the key and get ignition but no cranky the part inside the switch that sends power to the starter relay is burnt and no worky.

8. Hanau

1990 f-250.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that will come out without pulling the steering wheel.

10. Hanau

Care to give me a step by step?