My most annoying yard debris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Idealtim, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

A few of the residentials I maintain have some things in the yard such as wooden chairs and other crap. I have given up on telling the people to move them so I would just cut around them, they got the point pretty quick. Problem solved. Now I see more and more of these little (foot tall) wire fences around the beds and shrubs and almost any border. I personally don't like the look of them and now that I cut yards that contain them, I have found out the true pita about them. It is impossible to trim them with ANY trimmer. Even at half throttle if you even nick them with the line it grabs it and a.screws up the trimmer line, or b. rips and bends the fence out of the ground. Then I thought, okay, i'll just take them out, trim, put them back. gets to be a drag when it triples your trim time EVERY week:rolleyes: . I can't be spending a half hour cuting the entire lawn and the same amount just trimming it, not to forget the blowing after. Although I might as well not trim at all if I am going to leave islands of grass around every border. My question is, what would you do?

2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I would explain the situation to your customer and tell them that we have 4 options. I can not trim near them, I can charge you more for the time to remove, trim and replace them, or ROUNDUP the borders, which most of the probably wont want, or tell them about a different border...the black plastic stuff that's rolled at the top and buries about 6 inches in the ground. Know what i'm talkin' about?
    They can install it, or you can and charge'em, and they can still have their ugly, cheesy little wannabe fences (I know what you're talking about, I hate them);)

3. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i've got one customer, who put up this rediculous little plastic chicken wire type fence alll the way around his property, and up against the neighbors property, which i also cut the grass there.

and this isnt a little yard either, i get 110 to cut both yards next to eachother, and i'm there a couple hours.

for me it wasent even an option to say anything or try to get more, i just kept it maintained as well as i could...ofcorse its going to rip, but i just went slow, that and i would only trim around the fence every 3rd week or so.

if its a good paying customer i would just do it and smile and keep gettin the checks.

4. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Came around a corner and sucked up the corner of a huge Persian rug. Why was it outside? Spent an hour on the ground cutting and untangling.

One property has a neighbor who tosses beer bottles, dirty diapers, all kinds of garbage over the fence.

5. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

reminds me, i've got one lady whos lawn i cut every other week. shes got bags of regular household trash right next to her garage....when she first put them there i didnt even bother to move them becasue i knew they were gonna be there for a while.

shes not a messy person...just verrrry sloooow to pick up

6. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Reminds me of a time when I was trimming a planter and they had just had an open house a few days ago, well the ballons had that plastic ribbon. I caught about 4 of them up in the trimmer.... bust out the knife and start the swearin'!

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I mow mostly commercial and the corner lots get a lot of wire signs. I just run over them with the blades off and then pick them up and throw them in the trash. I run over them for the fun of it.

8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

My big problem is with plastic flowers all over a grave site and they dont use a vase
    I can deal with ones close to the head/foot stones but all the way from head to foot gets to be a pain

9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I'm just going to have to let it get bad enough to the point that they will take them out. I know that they won't pay any more than what there paying me now.

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

For me it is hoses. I would like to strangle a couple customers with their own hoses! J/K of course, but anyway. Got one acct that EVERY WEEK has a hose with a Rain Train on it in the middle of their lawn. Every week i pick it up to mow. I would b**** about it to the owner, but I overbid the lawn by $5, and they give me a $5 tip every week, so i guess i can move the hose every week for that. Other customers have hoses randomly, but it isnt really a problem. If it was a problem on a low profit account, I would seriously run over the hose, and if it was a small sprinkler, run that over too. I got some good customer service skills, dont i :laugh: ?