My Mower Cought On Fire Today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jun 6, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

While Mowing On My Scag Tiger Cub Today I Got To The End Of A Pass And Went To Start And My Right Arm Got Really Hot I Looked Back And There Were Flames All Over The Right Side.. I Ripped The Arms Open And Jumped Off It. The Fire Started In The Muffler And Were Starting To Burn Everywhere. I Put My Foot Over The Muffler And It Burned My Shoe And A Neighbor Seen This And Ran Over With The Hose And Got It Out. After A Bit I Tried To Start Again And Did It Again. I Waited A Hour And Poured Water Into The Muffler, Banged On The Carborator And Tried It Again And Everything Ok Then....
    I Have No Clue What Caused This But It Freaked Me Out Perty Bad. The Flames Were 5 Feet High And Thank God The Gas Tank Did Not Melt And Explode That Would Have Been Really Bad....
    Anyone Know Who I Should Contact About This???? This May Be A Serious Problem And Trust Me I Dont Even Want To Use This Mower Anymore..
    I Went Out And Bought A Fire Extinguister Today (cant Spell) And I Would Recommend All You Do The Same..
    People Please Let Me Know Who To Report This To So They Could Look Into This. They Might Have To Recall Mowers If This Happened To Others.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

First of all you dont need to use caps at the start off every word. Secondly you should contact scag directly and see what they have to say about it. Then call your dealer and tell them and see what they say. Take it in and have it looked at and repaired. The only way that can happen is if their is alot of unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust. Are you sure it was comeing out of the exhaust or off of the exhaust? Maybe you sprung a fuel leak thats spraying onto the exhaust?

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Tiger Cub also, they had a recall on the fuel sensor (has fuel lines going into it) a few years ago what year is your mower. I would take it too your dealer and let them handle it. I am glad you didn't get injured and the mower didn't burn to the ground. We carry two fire extinguishers in the truck just in case.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

he didnt use caps in the start of every word, he tried, or acidently typed all caps, but this forum has a feature that if you try and type all caps it will just caps the first letters.

and yeah contact scag..

5. milo

no leak it was big flames out the muffler and probally in like another minute it would have melted the gas tank and exploded

6. milo

mower is a 2003 19hp kawasaki and 48 inch cut.

7. ProStreetCamaro

And the engine was running correctly when this happened? Sounds like 1 cylinder wasnt fireing and the unburnt fuel caught on fire when it entered and hit the hot muffler.

8. milo

i emailed scag on there website. anyone have there number????

9. milo

mower was running great. there is only 125 hours on it.

10. ProStreetCamaro

Hmmm thats very odd. Just be glad you got the fire out before it did any real damage.