My mower is pissin me off!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MxMan817, Apr 27, 2006.

1. MxMan817

MxMan817 LawnSite Member

hey all thanks for looking. this is my first year in the biz and it slowly getting better as times goes on. my question is....i have a 48" ztr husky and the stripes it makes sucks. instead of light green dark green the stripes are a mix. for instance, the light green stripe has to narrow dark green stripes within it, equal distances from the edges of the deck. should i put a roller kit on the back or is there something else wrong?

maybe its just the mower...i am already wanting to go with a different brand...this thing wont cut wet grass without clogging:hammerhead: :angry:

thanks again for the help....

ride. race. live.

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

pls dont take this the wrong way, but i think cheaper is not always better if you know what i mean... i would try to build a stripe kit for it, im not sure if they make one for your mower... if you search, alot of people on here posted pics of stripe kits...

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

MxMan how much do your customers pay you to lay stripes? Maybe I should get into that business? I just cut grass.....stripes just come with it don't they?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Bad stripes and clogging in wet grass sounds like a deck pitch problem to me. Look in your owners manual to find out for sure but it should be 1/8-1/4" lower in the front. That gives you a better cut and helps the deck to discharge better.

5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Check your blades to. If you've been out drivin golf balls with it, that'll change things up quite a bit. If they're bent, dinged, or not the same you may want to fix that.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Take it from someone who knows and has been through it...

You are very likely another recipient of one of their factory warped decks.
    You are getting the streaks from pullback probably due to this.

What I mean is, you are travleing say away from the street to the house, then to the house back to the street. So when you stop at the street and look at the two stripes you just laid... the light one will have dark streaks and the dark one will have light streaks.

So what I mean by "pullback" is that it looks like portions of the deck are striping/pulling/bending the grass opposite to the direction of travel due to the way the blades are hanging inside the deck due to the warp.

You and I should really talk on the phone....

7. MxMan817

MxMan817 LawnSite Member

dont yell at me guys i made a super big rookie moron mistake. my blades were upside down, it cut like a champ today with no clumps or anything..but thanks for the suggestions...always good to know

thanks again

ride. race. live.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

PLUS!! Jodi is going to :hammerhead: about your thread title:walking:

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That was what I thought was wrong with mine the first day I owned it.
    Ran it up on the trailer gate to have a look.... nope blades not on upside down.

I can only wish that would have been my problem.

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

now thats funny.:laugh: glad everything worked out though.