My mower was on fire today from leaves!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MRPLOW, Oct 28, 2000.

1. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

I was picking up leaves to day with my 52 inch wright stander. The leaves started to pile up over the mower and I kept going sucking um up, when holy **** there was a fire about 2 feet tall on the mower. The muffler is on the front of the mower and started the leaves on fire. It took me about 30 seconds to get the fire out, the whole time I was thinking that the gas tank is gonna blow. To anyone that has a mower with the muffler in front don't let the leaves pile up near it.

2. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

thats some funny stuff i guess u aint gonna do any more leaves soon

3. script

script LawnSite Member

During the drier part of the summer last year I was mowing a very dry lawn with my 21" mower and noticed that some grass had accumulated on the muffler and started to smolder. I stopped and cleared it off with a stick without a thought. After finishing that strip and turning to cut the next, I was surprised to see a small fire burning on the lawn. It was easily put out, but a frightening thought of what could have been.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

This happened to me when I was twelve years old. I had an old rear engine snapper rider. The engine was on fire and the flame was burning through/on the air filter. It scared me but I put it out, and I continued mowing. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

time to install a halon 2lbs fire exsti. glad the mower made it through.

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

"This happened to me when I was twelve years old. I had an old rear engine snapper rider. The engine was on fire and the flame was burning through/on the air filter. It scared me but I put it out, and I continued mowing. Gotta do what ya gotta do."

Hey Lawnworks- Did you replace the air filter? Just gotta wonder what a charred air filter would do to a carb. I'll bet she ran a little rough for a while. LOL

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Erics Dixie Chopper is so fast he has to pull a sprayer behind him to put out the spot fires. :);)

8. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

The same thing happened to me when I first started cutting. It was a JD 116 and she started blazing. I didn't have an extinguisher so the next best thing...a thermos full of sweet iced tea. BTW the JD didn't miss a beat.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the same thing happened to me. i was using a fradan push blower and we were in some bushes blowing the leaves out. a bunch of leaves rubbed against the muffler and ignited the whole pile. i quickly pulled the blower back and started to jump on the small pile of leaves. luckily they went out, but it couldve been a massive brush fire if they hadnt

10. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I had a crew doing a spring cleanup on a commercial property using a Gravely two wheel tractor and sweeper. I came to do a site visit and was talking to one of the crew, when another runs over and says that the Gravely is on fire! By the time we ran over the poly brush was ablaze, dropping blobs of burning plastic everywhere. Didn't have a fire extinguisher (dopey me, bought one next day!) so had to use a hose. Only problem was the hose didn't reach the machine, so we had to push the machine across the turf (still burning and dropping blobs of burning stuff). Really low flow out of the hose, but we finally managed to get it out. Luckily we didn't start the grass on fire.
    The fire had started from dry grass building up on the muffler. Toasted the brush, but nothing else. Too much excitement for me, and scared the pants off the operator.

Alan