1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Mower Won't Start...Can You Help Me?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nherweck, Feb 16, 2006.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

OK...My mower hasn't been started since mid-November, and it won't even start now. I try turning the key, and NOTHING happens, NO noises at all either. I tried charging it, but it TRIED starting for like 2 seconds, then shut off again and won't even attempt anymore. What do you guys think I can do? I don't know what other details you need..but any help would be fabulous!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like battery is dead why don't you test the battery.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you charged the battery and it still won't crank over take the battery out and take it to a shop and have it tested, They will probably find it bad. If it still wont crank over with a new battery post back and somebody will take you to the next step. If you didn't drain the fuel or use stabilizer when you parked it there is a good chance the carb. will need to be taken apart and cleaned and fuel tank flushed.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I feel that its the battery also

5. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I got it started this morning, I decided to check all my wiring on it to make sure it was ship shape, and the wire connecting to the key was disconnected. Works just as it should now! THANKS!
  6. mike21

mike21 LawnSite Member
    from sydney

I have weed eater ride on mower,with Tecumseh 13hp enduro motor,and it will not start at the key,but will start using a screw driver on the starter motor,could this be a fuse.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Does it make any noise at all ?
    It could be a fuse or a safety switch, First use a test light or multimeter and check for battery voltage on the back of the ign. switch. If voltage is present then hold the switch in the start position and test for voltage on the S terminal on the back of the switch. If voltage is present start unplugging safety switches one at a time and check for continuity when pushed in the plunger on the switch. Thats a starting point.

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

Could Be The Battery. Or, Safety Switch's, Soilends
  9. jamesbar

jamesbar LawnSite Member

speaking of batterys can you explain technically about amper hours on a battery i have never been able to understand all about it
  10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

http://the12volt.com/ here is some good reading for you if your not confused now you will be:)