My mower

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Smithers, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Did not see any threads with pics of mowers (did not do a search either), so here are a few pics of my mower when it was clean :rolleyes:

IMG_3187.JPG

2. Smithers

another one.....

IMG_3190.JPG

3. Smithers

another one..

IMG_3188.JPG

4. Smithers

6x12" ..........

DSC03211.jpg

5. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

i wish they still made the 17/44

6. Smithers

splatz100,

what do you mean??? exmark still makes 17hp, 44" deck with Kaw engine.

7. splatz100

whenever i asked the price they said it wouldnt be in production for 2005

8. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

hey pentrenz,

I am in the market for a ztr and the same exmark that you have is tops on my list. Could you answer some questions for me about that mower and your truck trailer? I really would apprecate it!!

1.What is the width of your emark hp...can you fit through gate openings?

2.Do you wish you got a bigger mower for larger yards? I am looking for an all around mower that will do big yards, but still be usefull for small to average size yards, Does your mower fit the bill for this application?

3.How does your f150 do pulling your enclosed trailer?

4. Do you think you could fit a walkbehind 48" mower in the trailer with you hp too?

thank you SY

9. splatz100

10. Smithers

splatz, sorry about that....i did not know...on their websites, the mower is still on there and they dont mention anything about dropping it. but what's wrong with getting a 19hp engine? the price is pretty good too.

SouthernYankee

You can ask me as many questions as you want. no big deal. i love helping people.

1.What is the width of your emark hp...can you fit through gate openings?

i have a 44". i can fit it thru a 46 or larger, nothing less. There is this yard i have that is just big enough that i can crawl thru. i get in, but man, i am almost scratching the deck. ...i was desparate this year and i was trying to get any job that came my way. but starting next year, i will do what most people do.....if my mower does not fit, i dont want the job.

However, i just did a cleanup for a guy that had a 36" gate. I offered him to find a fense contractor (with no mark up fee) and change his gate so that i can charge the owner $150 for cleanup. The owner spent $350 for a new gate, paid me $150 for the cleanup....everyone went home happy and i made a new friend - the fense contractor.

2. Do you wish you got a bigger mower for larger yards? I am looking for an all around mower that will do big yards, but still be usefull for small to average size yards, Does your mower fit the bill for this application?

Yes and no.....i know it's a silly answer, but i willl try to explain...Every time i cut one of my clients' yards (4 acres), i sure wish having a 72" mower (even bigger if they made them). But every time i have to cut that yard with the 46" gate, i am glad that it fits thru (the owner is a school teacher and she is cheap). I used a rental once (52"), and loved cutting her neighbor's yard....but coulnt' cut hers. had to wait until mine came back.

See, you have to understand that i have a full time job and i am part time solo LCO. I do this after hrs and it is not my only source of income. So, it's ok if it takes me 20 min longer to be done with a yard. there is this yard that i charge $22 to cut the grass, and it takes me 50 before i leave....yeah, i am not very happy, but he is a dream client...always wants something else done.

So, if i were you, i'd look around in your area and see what kind of gates the people have. The houses in my area are more than 30 years old...when they made small gates. Ga has large lots, they might not even have fences. If they dont...get a 48" or a 52". they are great. dont know how much extra you have to pay, though.

3.How does your f150 do pulling your enclosed trailer?

First, i have a 4.6L V8. I wish i had a bigger trailer (at least wider). Let's put it his way.....if i could, i'd get an F-250 right away. But Ga is pretty flat, so you will be ok. my truck is kinda old, so maybe that's why.

4. Do you think you could fit a walkbehind 48" mower in the trailer with you hp too?

For awhile i had a 36" WB exmark and this one. I was able to fit them fine with no problem once i put the trimmer and edger on the walls. I think they come to about 144" together, and the trailer is about 148" or something like that. The truck did ok pulling both, as well. it's a good truck, just wish it was a 5.4L.

My final thoughts....depending on your company size, you might need a small mower for smaller applications. I got mine from a residential exmark customer. It was 1 year old....paid $4200 with 36 hrs on it.. could not beat that price....i wish it was bigger, but being solo, it's fine. my house sits on a 60'x110' lot and i am done cutting grass in 7 min.

if you are planning on expanding and can't afford a bigger one, get this one for now....then you can go back to the dealer (at least i can) and trade it in... if i had it my way and a place to store, i'd get 2 mowers - one fore big applications, one for small. but i can't store them, so i am fine with just one.

i hope i helped you and not confused you more.

let me know if you have any questions.