My MPG's are killing me!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, Sep 22, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

So I recently bought my first vehicle, a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport. According to the internet (not just Dodge) I am supposed to get around 15 city and 18 Highway. I have calculated the MPG's and I am getting 9 city! I drive 95% city so this is kinda rough for such a small truck. F350's are supposed to get this or even better!
    Any ideas why it's so low? And no, I do not speed or accelerate hard.

Edit: Oh and this is without weight in the truck. (no trailers or anything)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Check tire pressure, get a tune up, change fluids and filters...go from there

3. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

What engine does it have? I'm guessing it has the 318, and yes they drink some gas. It shouldn't be getting that bad though, so being a 2002 it's probably time to do a really good tuneup if it hasn't been done in a while. Start by checking the air filter, spark plugs to see if they need cleaned, gapped, or changed. Also the distributor cap and rotor is a general tuneup item you'll want to check or replace. Fuel filter would be something you will want to check out too. This would help, if it hasn't been tuned up already, but the bad news is that the Dodge probably isn't going to get a whole lot better on gas. I've owned several Dakotas through the years, and none of them came close to the fuel usage listed on the sticker. My 4 cyl Dakota didn't even get 20mpg highway, more like 15 city, 18 highway.

4. pattytastik

I don't think it has a 318, it is a 4.7 v8. I think I will take it in for a tuneup. Any idea how much this might cost?

5. BINKY1902

from South

If you have an Autozone nearby and some handtools, you could go pick up a Haynes repair manual for your truck and save some cash by doing it yourself. A mechanic is going to be pretty expensive I would imagine, most of them here are at $75/hr labor rates.

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

If you were to bring it in somewhere to have work down it will prolly cost you somewhere between $350 to $450 depending on where you bring it.

That being said... I would do it myself, it's pretty easy, just make sure you know where all the spark plug wires go. I would change the oil, air filter and fuel filter, spark plugs and wire and cap and rotor. This will prolly help for the most part but trucks then weren't know for gas mileage!

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

i had a 2001. same truck. tried everything. sold it. got an f150 19mpg

8. pattytastik

what were you getting with the dakota? What year of an f150 is it?

9. BINKY1902

from South

I had a Mitsubishi Raider/Dodge Dakota with the 3.7 V6, which is basically a 4.7 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. It was 4x4 as well. The best I ever got on the highway was 16-17mpg, the best I ever got in town was around 13-14 mpg.

10. pattytastik

If I could get 12-14 City, I would be thrilled (relativity speaking). 8 is kinda rough though..