My much bigger leaf box (lettered too)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Oct 7, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The old one which was smaller had an accident so i was glad for the opportunity to build this one. It will hold 9.77 cubic yards of leaves. I went yesterday and had the lettering put on it too (vinyl cut). Hopefully I can get more leaf work from this.

oct07420.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Inside. You can't see too well (forgot flash) but the clippings/few leaves in there are about 4 42 gallon trash bag's worth which was from one half acre. The loader shoots straight to the back without losing any height and never once clogged (the clippings were damp when mowed and set in bags for two days also so they were difficult to suck up). I still have to put a vent in the roof on the back of the box though but other than that it's all good. Each of the frame posts is bolted into the stake pockets in the truck with a lag bolt. The rest is assembled in sections or frame/then panels of wood, but it's all carriage bolts so you just need a cordless drill with a 1/2" socket on it and a cordless screwdriver for the door hinges to put it on or take off. I can't wait for the leaves now :D

oct05417.jpg

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Nice job CELC;)

That will hold some dust. How do you dump it?

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks.
    I plan to layer a few tarps in it and drag them out, but I've been wanting to make something like a Load Handler so if I get that done I'll see how that goes. Might also make a front slanted air deflector for the box as well so I don't lose as much mpg.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Looks great FrankenScagMachines. I am sure you will be attracting more attention with your new lettering.

6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice! Like the lettering! Way to take advantage of the open real estate on the side of the box!

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Now THATS nice! Good work you did there! Yes, I'm complementing you on a good job:p Hows it do on the highway?

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks guys. It drives fine but I drive easier/slower with it. My logic is that with the modified exhaust, people look to see what's coming then they see the big letters and remember it. Not many LCO's here do leaf removal, most just mow over them (not even a proper mulching) or blow to curb with b/p. I have one of the few leaf boxes around. I'm hoping to cash into the removal market as there appears to be a market but little services offering it. The only other leaf box I saw was on a commercial building maintenance contractor's truck, I guess they do some mowing which I didn't know before. Wish me luck :p

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

My friend swears by the dump body insert. He went for the aluminum one. It's great for dumping leaves, mulch, stone. You may want go for it later on.
    Pete

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yes or even better a one ton dually dump. Money is too tight right now for anything like that but later on for sure :)