My my Co wants Walker / I want Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Feb 17, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I stopped by the shop yesterday and The Walker dealer just dropped 2 walker demo's :eek: I rode one and Im not impressed they seem slow and the steering is weird. There is a lever that controls your speed not the steering controls.
    I see that they are compact which is a good advantage and their bagging system looks good.
    We went over to the Exmark dealer who's in our backyard and the service and parts availability is better.
    Im not crazy about these I would rather stick with Toro, Dane or Ex but my boss likes the versatility with the Walkers.
    Whats everyones experiance and opinions of the Walkers?????

we currently have a GD SS, Toro z master and need to trade for equipment that can handle debris more effeciantly and be versitle.
    We are keeping our SS for mowing and maybe buying a Billy Goat vac system for our truck
    Just dont know?????? :confused:

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I run Walkers and love them. The steering and throttle are different but in less than a day you'll get used to it. The quality of cut is incredible, but it also depends on what you are cutting. They are slow on long/wet grass but do the job. Do a search there is a ton of info on Walkers on the site. You'll find on thing though, most either love them or hate them, not many in between.:D

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

How exactly are they versatile. You have to change decks to go from bagging to mulching to discharging. I found Walkers to be a one trick pony & dumped them for eXmark hydro Walks a few years ago.

4. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

For bagging, you cant beat a walker.

5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a 42" Walker last year w/ 20HP Kohler engine and GHS - yes they are they can be slow but rarely use it at full speed anyhow with the types of terrain we use it on and that is about the only drawback I can think of. I love our Walker and don't think I would use anything else.

6. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Get the Exmark and leave your boss and
    go into business for yourself and live happily ever after ;-) ......Actually I like
    Ferris Zero turns even better but I only run Exmark Walk behinds

Andrew

7. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I also am very pleased with mine I rarly use it at top speed ,gets right in the corners.And it's like a vacume cleaner for fall cleans. two thumbs up from me for what it's worth

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Let us think a second...his company, his money. Pretty simple to me. He gets what he wants.

9. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmm. I'd just wait till eXmark comes out with their new dedicated bagger. If you aren't that, I would go with a Toro Z350 dedicated bagger.

10. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't owned a walker or an exmark but was at the Grasshopper dealer the other day contemplating a new mower (who also sells walker). With the walker you get an outfront deck (less trimming being able to get in close and under things), it is a very compact machine (Less room on the trailer and can manuver very well on small areas) and it is a very good machine for picking up clippings. However, it is not very versatile without changing the deck, it is made to pick up clippings or discharge, BUT NOT BOTH. The exmark looks like a good machine and it will be faster than the walker, but being a mid-mount it will not get in as close as a front deck, maybe causing one to have to spend the extra time trimming (depends on your mowing locations). It will be a more versatile mower. This is a biased opinion of both since I have not owned either one. This is the same topic that the mower salesman and I had about different mowers. Looks to me like a mix of both mowers would be very productive. On an additional note: How can walk behinds even be compared to Z's?