My name

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by exmark user, Dec 30, 2010.

1. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently going by Willis Lawn Care and Landscapes but I want to change it to Down to Earth Landscaping but someone on the other side of state has the name . Can I still use it ???????

2. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

if it's a DBA you can, at least here anyway.

3. exmark user

Whats DBA?

4. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah, I didn't even look who I was responding too. Seriously get legit, and you will find out.

DBA is a fictitious name.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How can you possibly own, operate and even HAVE a business if you don't know what a DBA is?

6. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

too funny, but not everyone goes to college for turfcare management, horticulture etc.. some people just get a mower and start goin'.
    At least he's tryin to get info on how to be legitimate....(or at least it seems, could be mistaken).

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Google is your friend, abuse it.

8. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

key words: business registry, your city and state.

The sooner you get a business name, the quicker the IRS can find you, so plz hurry.

9. exmark user

Im getting legal this year just wonderin if i can use this that name so if not i can think of a new one.

10. boonehockey

boonehockey LawnSite Member

Your state has a database of every business name. You look at dba or doing business as, or the fictious name registery. If somebody else hase the name you can add hyphens or dash and the name will be diffrent. The registration is good for a couple years and then you renew it. Its that easy.