" my neighbor is now going to cut lawn"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Jan 27, 2014.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard this many times throughout the years. Mostly current customers trying to save some $$$. They usually go with the neighbor to cut the grass and save some cash. But as you all know the neighbor is not a proffesional lawn care company. Meaning no edging and poor quality cutting etc. I usually get a call back a few months out to begin cutting again because neighbor cant do quality work. Last week I did an estimate on a property. The guy calls me back a few days later and told me estimate was great and to start cutting in February. I said OK. He calls me back today and said do not cut his lawn. He said His neighbor is going to do it. well all his neighbors are in their mid 70ies and 80ies. I had to laugh as I heard the message he left on the phone. I can guarantee I will be getting a call from him again come Summer. Have you guys come across this much? It is irritating to hear this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't say I have. They guy isn't having you do it probably because those guys are cheaper. When you mean quality of cut what exactly do you mean, and they could at least trim. It drives me crazy to see a yard that is not trimmed or edged properly. Maybe you could offer a discount for the first cut and see how he likes it.

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Move on and of he calls back raise your price.

4. Busybee Lawns

Busybee Lawns LawnSite Member

Been there! Just to re-affirm business is just business. I try to keep a relationship with my customers and have become close to all, so to hear news like this can hurt, but don't take it to heart! Good luck!

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

All about saving $$$$$$.
    Let's face it we as an industry are a luxury, not a necessity.
    We think highly of ourselves and what we do as we should.
    However I would venture to say the majority of our clients most likely do not.
    Just a reality check.
    Keep doing our best everyday. Be professional , be timely, courteous, and do the best you can each day .
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

If his neighbors are in 70's or 80's, it sounds like he went with a different LCO. Move on or as suggested, if they call back, raise the price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.

8. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Ducnut it is about keeping customers happy whenever or however we get them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Once they have a problem with price they always have a problem with price. I have no problem going back but it will cost more. Make it worthwhile while you're doing it because they will most always be looking for a better deal. And when/if they find a better deal it only lasts so long before they're calling back again. Lots of business out there to be messing around and playing games with people who are always squabbling over a few dollars.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  10. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

Professional... Means appearance, communication ability, and friendly demeanor and some certification of education! Be nice and charge more ... Because no one ever hired the cheapest crackhead twice!
    Posted via Mobile Device