" my neighbor is now going to cut lawn"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Jan 27, 2014.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Very true.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Remember, it is their property, and they can make the choices at their pleasure. In some of those cases (many?), the customer isn't worried about the "professional" look, rather, "just cut the grass." While you may not be satisfied with the appearance, your opinion does not count. They are the ones making the decision.

I've had a few customers over the years take the work back themselves. Perhaps they have retired, or were in an employment crunch for a couple of years. Or, they may have lost their employment. When I worked the property, it was trimmed, edged, hard surfaces blown off, bagged when necessary, straight stipes, ... all that. When they took it back, no trimming, no clearing of debris off drive or walk, and the cutting was done with a Craftstman tractor (yes, those that always have one side of the deck lower than the other), or (cringe...) Snapper, rear-engine rider. To be sure, it was very distressing to drive by and see clippings all over, no trimming, etc. But, it is their property, and they choose to maintain as they wish.

One more thing, ... be careful about speaking negatively of those doing the cutting that are in their 70s. :nono::nono:

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Relax. Nobody's speaking negatively of somebody in their 70's or 80's. it sounds like a line to use another LCO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

I offer an A, B, and C+ cut.... You can take 5 minutes to find out what they want .... I don't care if they go up or down on quality...I care if the checks clear. If someones cheap run it over and trim every other week....cut in with roundup to save trimming time. If you edge the sidewalk with a walk behind edger twice a year...you can really speedup weekly maintenance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Davey... we operate much differently. Every finished job is the marketing brochure for the next customer. While you may not care about how it looks, or even the customer may not care much, others may care. I've picked up lots of customers over the years who stop where I am working, "... can you make mine look just like this?" They have looked positively on the work, and care about their property.

I would not create a marketing brochure that had tattered edges, dirt smeared across the front. The work speaks for itself. Over the years, I've established myself deeply in some neighborhoods -- work for the better part of two days on the same street, with connected properties. I don't do nearly as well with one here, one there. Travel time is overhead time, some piece of equipment is not running.

But, if somebody decides to do the work themselves, the quality is theirs to own. When I do the work, the quality is mine to own. "... 5 minutes to know what they want, ..." Sorry, but I am doubting that most do not know what they want. Rather, they "just want the grass cut." But, in reality, they do want more, they do want trimming, they do want a clean up. Rarely do I hear somebody asking for trimming, or blowing down. I don't even ask if they want it bagged any longer. I make my own decisions. They will know if the work was done well afterward, but probably cannot tell you what was done to make it look that way.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The OP, ... "He said His neighbor is going to do it. well all his neighbors are in their mid 70ies and 80ies. I had to laugh ..."

7. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

from my experience, people who are likely to let their friends or neighbors cut their lawns are not generally the types of customers I'm looking for -- not long term anyway.

8. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

After looking, he's located in Florida, so the age makes sense.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Diesel Dude

Diesel Dude LawnSite Member

I agree with this guy. No sense in burning your bridges with potential clients.

10. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

My C+ is most guys A, but I get $65 in a neighborhood where big lco's are $40. I want all the other work....beds...fert....leaves....aerate/overseed. I crush my comp on quality....ie diamond cut the front lawn. I have always found that it is easier to upsell the customer....when they are your customer. We all have different ideas of what works. I want every lawn in the neighborhood... Not just the A's. My production cost decrease radically and my profit increases working this plan.
    Posted via Mobile Device