1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

" my neighbor is now going to cut lawn"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Jan 27, 2014.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Who cares let the neighbor have at it. Just be sure to NOT take that customer back for bailing.

2. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

It seems like the low cost guys are going too fast...tracking turf diseases from job to job...sharpening blades every 50 lawns. Yeah, that job took 6 mins...woo hoo! That's not my cup of tea. But, I don't want three crews of guys out mowing either, I think small, full service is the way to go. I'm a plant guy/ gardener, don't need NASCAR like pit crew stops all day to make a buck. If I don't stop and smell the roses, I wouldn't notice the aphids....dude!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. It's not her; it's him. I've known him over 35 years. Something mentally is happening to him. He's become a real prick to people, including his family. He just seems to not want to be bothered with anything or anyone. She's very particular about her place. I can assure you, you'd like to have her as a client; super-nice and easy going. It's a full-service property and she pays whatever you charge, provided you do great work. I help a contractor and have done other work around there.

She didn't bat an eye for what I charged to clear everything and service her snowblower. She tipped me $30, on top of it. She was grateful that I came right out, did great work, and she didn't have to deal with getting the snowblower taken care of. I detail vehicles and happen to clean the car of one of her friends. This lady commented that when the weather breaks, she'd like for me to come out and get her car for a detail. I don't turn down opportunities with these people. Someone like this, who is well-off and connected, spreads the word about great people and service. This IS the kind of client I want.

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Great. So in other words you're still not doing the lawn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I get "my out of work dead beat son/nephew/uncle/cousin/brother".

6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol. I know we're not getting the job when I give a price and hear, "I'll talk it over with my wife/husband".
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

We've still got snow on the ground and stupidly-cold temps. Nobody does anything, until they start seeing spring on the horizon. My commercial people aren't even committing, yet, as they're still worried about covering their snow removal costs.

Agreed!

8. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Smelling the roses is nice too... But only after a long, frantic day of work, of course. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

That's when you should be smelling the beers.... :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

That sounds like me. Funny about the aphids. Very true though! I emphasize full service garden care/horticulture in my business.
    Posted via Mobile Device