1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My New 31EFI Kohler Scag TT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by create_username, Apr 29, 2008.

1. create_username

create_username LawnSite Member

I posted a thread about 3 weeks ago with my 2 choices of TT's narrowed down between the 31EFI Kohler and the KawiDFI. Since I had spent some time on the Kawi I kinda knew what to expect so after I found (which was not easy) a 31Kohler I went and had a look. To make a long story short they would not let me mow with that mower so I had to drive 2 hours to actually "demo" the machine. Without giving the full review this is an amazing machine. The smoothness and torque are 2 of the words that first some to my mind. After spending a couple three days seat time I will post my "unscientific" review. Here are some pics I snapped of it on my trailer.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Beautiful....good score.
  3. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

Wow Nice machine! That looks almost like a modern car engine in there. Soon we'll have EGR in these things. At least with EFI you'll never have to fiddle with any needles and such.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Great looking machine. What were the differences you noticed when you ran the 29 and 31? Regardless, great machine and congratulations! What prices were you given?
  5. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious about the differences in the two also. I've not sold one yet, but am tempted to put one on the floor (I got a 27LC kaw for the showroom instead) My dist. has us selling the 31 Kohler for $100 more than the 29 Kaw.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The small dealers here sell the 27's but the larger dealers in Lexington sell mostly 29's with a low failure rate I'm told.
  7. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Did the filter minder come standard or did you install? If you installed, where did you buy it?
  8. create_username

It came standard. I will post my review in the next couple days. I've been moving a fence so I've been beat when I've got home.
  9. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a mid size dealer but a lot of my commercial customers pay more attention to what it's going to cost me now rather than what is the total and/or long term cost of this machine....also sounds like they have dealers pretty close together? We have 1 other scag dealer 20 miles from us, but no others within 45 miles which is good for us most of the time. If there were too many dealers too close to us we would have never picked up the line.
  10. create_username

It's kinda hard to believe that with my being such an ardent Kawi guy for several years a Kohler would be sitting on my new TT. Since this was my first "New" rider and fuel prices being what they are now I wanted a machine that was as efficient as possible. Before someone says the word "diesel" I did spend some seat time on the Kubota. A buddy was nice enough to bring his 29Kawi to the lot where the 31 Kohler was and the fun began.

Starting: Both engines started like any typical injected engine. No difference that I could see whatsoever.

Sound: The Kohler has a little deeper sound than the Kawi but both at idle sounded close. When throttled all the way up I thought the Kohler was quiteter. Both engines sound great.

The Grass: I picked a spot of Bermuda (and weeds) "7 grass that was very thick.

Performance: Cutting height set at "3 I started with the Kawi and spent approx 10 mins. The Kawi performed very well at moderate to slow speeds. The Kohler felt like the B&S 31 with EFI. For a gass machine the torque curve is great. Even though I didnt think I would feel much difference between the 2 the Kohler but I knew immediatly I wanted the Kohler. We also lined them up to race and the Kohler's torque rulled the appox 30-40 yard drag race.

This is a quick review and I'm sure some will ask the important questions so ask away and I'll do my best.