My new air filter finally done, with pics!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, May 14, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I finally got this damn thing done, after waiting forever for that little plastic part that connects the air tube to the carb. They are very hard to come by, even if you order from Kawasaki? Now all I have to do is put a rain cap on it, but I am probably going to just make one, since they are over $28. and they are all plastic and break apart real easy! I can build a much stronger one that will never break! What do you all think about how it turned out? I was a little worried about how it would run, since I didnt really know if it was going to work or not, but the engine purred like a kitten, so I assume it is all good, or else it would have ran weird, if it wasnt getting enough or too much air...I think at least???

DSCN0529.JPG

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

that looks like your mower is hitting a crack pipe!!!!!

how about you not be such a miser and just buy the donaldson canister filter for it?

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

looks like a bong for a cheech and chong mower! LOL

4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Hitting a crack pipe??? Where do you see that? I had a couple of these canister assemblys lying around, and decided to use them and I can get the air filters for $4. a piece! That is the main reason I switched, and the engine will run much cleaner now too, and hopefully last much longer. I check out the prices on a donaldson filter that comes on the FH580V, and just the canister itself is over $400, that is not including all the other parts either, and their air filters are ridiculously expensive! The type I used is for a Kubota or Yanmar/John Deere. The canister is all steel, unlike the plastic ones that come on mowers today!

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I think you should have fixed the recoil before that project. LOL

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Baaaaa hahaha good eye!!!

How many times are you really going to change out that air filter? Maybe 10 times max. Big deal you save a hundred bucks over 5 years. 400 bucks for the filter? Dude are you hitting the pipe to? I bought a new kawi engine for my wb for 900 with the canister filter. The last time I looked they are like 30 bucks plus the adaptor and filter. I bet under a hundred bucks. And after it would look like a factory job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does it have a spout on top? What's you gonna pour in there?

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you familiar with the adage, "polishing a turd"? :D

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Its a snorkel for all the flooding up there.

10. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

custom baby.... straight custom. looks functional