1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new baby!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Avery, May 18, 2001.

1. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

:cool: here is a pic of the newest addition to our "family" 4-n-1 bucket, and quick attach pallet forks by Long equipment in Tarboro, NC and 10A backhoe fitted to a JD 5410. GOTTA LOVE IT!

2. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Hey now thats a tractor! How many customers yards have you torn up with that. You must do some big jobs, That bucket looks great heck the whole outfit looks great hope it helps you out.

One more toy in the toy box never hurts!!!!! :blob3:
  3. Avery

Thanks kountryscape. We use this tractor for unloading/moving/planting large B&B material. Takes a much smaller crew. The forks come in handy for unloading sod. Turf farm here charges $200 drop fee if they unload. 4n1 is handy for brush clean up etc....

No yards for this monster. Still using the small Deere with turf tires for that. 'Course I have delt with some people in the past that I would like to run this thing across their nice bermuda sod yard!...LOL
  4. Why does the sod farm charge that much. Your deliveries come in single roll or 50 rolls to a pallet. Seems awful high delivery charge.
    The company that I use charges me only $40 for delivery of anything under 1000 sq.ft. Anything over that is for free.:rolleyes:

5. Avery

'cause we live and work at the beach in a resort area gusbuster. I am charged ten cents per yard delivery and $200 forklift fee. And the sod farm is only appx. 10 miles from where I do most my installs. Plus they use one of those baby three wheeled forks that cannot go in the sand and sand is all we have. They set it on the side of the road and we wind up carrying it all over the yard. We do not use rolls. It comes in pallets of 40 sq/yds in pieces appx. 2'X 4'.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

nice unit....mind me asking how much you paid?
  7. Avery

Not at all. 37,000.00 and change including all you see plus the add on forks that I did not get in the picture. They are a separate unit. Take the bucket off and put the forks on. Not like some you see that you add to the bucket on a cross member.
  8. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Nice looking machine.

Just out of curosity, what made you go with the large tractor over say a big skidsteer?

9. Avery
    I thought we get overcharged sometimes.

The sod that is delivered to me is comming from 90 miles to 140 miles away.(San Jauquin Valley or Central Coast) They only deliver to the curb, not on properties. For me, not a big issues as most of my work is just a short haul. (less than 50ft.)

I wish our sod farm would go to the squares instead of rolls. Makes for an easir and faster install.

I still think you are getting whammed on the delivery charges big time. At least speaking for companies that operate out of California and Nevada, delivery charges are minimal.

Nice tractor and enjoy it.
  10. lots and lots of money. You can do more work and raise your per hour charge to reflect. They show every Monday morning, do not drink or do drugs and don't give you a lot of back talk.

Equipment intensive business with higher paid journeymen employees will make more margin and net profit and the conventional pay em as little as you can business model.

We just bought a Kubota L 48 with backhoe and it's an awesome machine. Makes our crews much more effective and we charge more for it.