1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Jan 2, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my new Echo PB-403 today. Looks great and can't wait to use it but I have a question. It calls for 50:1 mix (perferably echo oil) but some of the other 2 strokes I have call for 40:1. If I use the 40:1 mix in the new blower, will it hurt or damage anything? I don't want to have to have a separate can just for the backpack blower. Just wondering.
  2. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

you should be ok allways better to be rich than lean.might just lack some rpm,more smoke more of a chance to foul plugs.
  3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

A little smoke from slightly richer mix is better than none. so, a litle smoke is a good sign. Its better to know its getting lubricated, than not at all-just to be safe.
  4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Backpacks use the gas up pretty fast... So it might not be a bad idea to just get another gas can.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I run about 45:1 in all my 2 cycles (Lawn Boys, trimmers, blowers, chainsaw) and no ill-effects (I think they all run 50:1)
    Rule of thumb- if it calls for 50:1 (or 40:1, etc.) then you shouldn't be any more than 55:1 and no less than 45:1. I would say that 's the range to be in, preferably more oil to gas but what i mean is, it should be OK to stretch it a little :)
  6. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Change your oil to Opti-2 and use one mix for all your two-cycle equipment. I use it in everything calling a from 50:1 to 32:1 mix and no problems.
  7. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

better to be a little on the rich side if it is inconvenient to carry 2 different mixes. The worst that will happen is a little extra smoke, the need to replace the plug slightly more often and making sure to decarbonize the ports and spark arresting screen if it has one in the off season or as needed.
  8. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Good blower the 403, i have two. Does lack a little in power, but beats any hand held. Run what the manufacture recommends. Ive used all kinds of mix in it with no ill effects, stihl, echo, kawasaki, generic ive used them all in it. If you do want to run it a little richer, get the kawasaki because the bottle has a little more in it for the 2 gallon mix.
  9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, when you guys say 50:1 ratio what da hell does that mean?

50ml of gas to 1ml of 2cycle oil?
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

^^^ 50 units of gas to 1 unit of oil. The units can be whatever you want.