My new bizzz

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigboy112, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bigboy112

bigboy112 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have started a new biz. I am currently 15 years old. I have already bought all the equipment I can think I need. Here it is:

1 Jacobsen 17HP Kaw 36" Cut 2650$
    1 Jacobsen 18HP B&S 48" Cut 4500$
    1 Jacobsen 11HP B&S Hauler (my puller) 7500$
    1 Stihl Magnum 420C 56cc Backpack Blower. 250$
    1 Stihl 110RX Trimmer 225$
    1 Carry-On 5' x 10' Flatbed Trailer 860$

I spent a total of about 16,000$ on all my equipment. Everything is brand new. I have a friend that also is with me. I paid out all my savings 12,000$ and he put up the other 4,000$. We have 13 customers, and we just passed out flyers last week. We originally had 4 customers. We charge by the time it take and the other expenses. Most lawns average about 30-45$. Is this a good price for lawns .20 acre and .65 acre. There is one that is a little more than 2 acres that we charge 80$ per mowing. The all have a 1 year contract. Is this good? Am I doing anything wrong? Are my prices too low or too high? Is my equipment sufficient enough? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

2. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

looks good, but why did you go out and buy all this new equiptment in the beginning? also whats a Jacobsen 11HP B&S Hauler? I havent seen many jacobsen mowers, arnt they normally golf course mowers and reel mowers?

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

you are also full of sh*t...you can't even drive

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

His friend may be the one with the license....

and like someone said, I'm not sure if I would have emptied out my savings; but everyone has a different way of doing things....

as far as asking general questions about pricing, etc, I would read as much as you can at the site and learn from there versus asking questions that are difficult to answer.

6. Koiboi123

Koiboi123 LawnSite Member

7. bigboy112

from NJ

If you are wondering where I got all the money.... I got it from working hard with my dad. He has a side bizz for construction, and stuff like that. I worked with him since I was 8. The Jacobsen Hauler is a grounds keeper or almost like a Go-cart. It has an 11HP Briggs. He goes about 15mph/w 36", blower, trimmer, and 2 5gal gas cans. Yes, my friend is 17 and can drive. We use an old ford f-150( I think '87) Gets the Job done. If this doesn't work I can always go back with my dad. He pays me 8.00/HR. So it can work out anyway:D Any other comments?

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think your prices are good. Not too high or low.

I think we are all just jealous that somebody actually had the money to start out with brand new machines.

Good luck to you guys

9. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

then why did you waste the money on the Jacobsen Hauler if you had a truck???:confused:

10. bigboy112

from NJ

I use the Hauler because when hes not there I can do it myself.