1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new Blade Runner Demo!!!! WOW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captdevo, Dec 2, 2002.

1. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

here's a some pics of my new demo Blade Runner!!!

it'll probably be the last Robin / Subaru powered unit, but it has the new Hydrogear pumps!!

if you've ever run a Blade Runner prior to this one, you know they were very...very sensative....this new pump is tops.

this machine has a ground speed up to 20mph!!! it is smooth!!

if ya get a chance to run one, you'll be amazed!!! if ya want to try this one, drop me a line!!

We should have the new models listed soon, with a new diesel!!!

2. captdevo

3. captdevo

pump too

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

captdevo- What kind of price for that unit?? Looks like a DC.

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

is the first photo reversed because i dont see the discharge chute on the right side of the mower deck .
    if discharge is on the left side man that would take along time to retrain my brain to blow grass the other way after doing it one way for over 20 years
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Harry, you are correct. the chute is on the opposite side. it was discussed in an earlier post, but i forget the benefits of doing this. Hey capt devo, im going to a show in atlanta the first or second week of february with my college for a show. I think its mostly golf course stuff, but was wondering if the blade runner would be there?
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As I know it, it is due to the fact that the engine is mounted backwards. Thus giving it a clockwise crank revolution. This translates into a left hand discharge.

The reason....Is still confusing to me.

Something about the mounting of that pump adapter. It must be mounted on the rear of the engine. (again, don't know why they chose to go this route?) This puts most exhaust closer to the operator, and forces us to "relearn" how to mow. (left vs. right) It will however GIVE an EXCELLENT cut the first few mowings on a particular lawn, as most of the grass will have a "memory" from the right hand decks. Cut it the other way and the grass will just stand right up and cut REAL nice! Kinda like mowing a stripe pattern backwards.

Anyway... Still looks too "Homemade" for my tastes. I see too many open ended steel tubing for debris/water to get in and rust.

Can't argue with the 20mph though! THAT is its only saving grace!

Is the pump linkage/savers a Bladerunner installed product, or a Hydrogear thing? Good Idea for shock load prevention.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

dI believe the discharge chute was primarily mounted on the left side because that way, when mowing along roadsides, you can mow towards traffic without blowing grass into the street. If you feel uncomfortable mowing with your back to oncoming traffic, this would be an alternative.

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the difference seeing the car hitting you or not seeing it hit you . just kidding . I just wondered about it because no other mower is set up this way seems kinda dumb to change it now
  10. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I like it!!

The bladerunner I had was just a CUTTING machine.

Hey captndevo what size machine is that?

Also why did you say that it was the last robin subaru engine? Mine had a 25hp robin on it and I liked it alot!

In the manufacture forum there is talk about a new diesel, do you have any info of that yet?

Oh by the way I was told several reasons for the left hand cut and they all made sense to me! Besides like tls said it does cut really pretty! Although I am not sure what he means by homemade!