My new cheetah died!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BMays2012, May 28, 2012.

1. BMays2012

BMays2012 LawnSite Member

Hi to all, I am new here and a new Scag Cheetah owner. My machine has about 15 hours on it and it shut off while in use and will not do anything now. Turn the key and nada. The amp meter doesn't even move. Hooked up a jumper battery and nothing. Battery seems ok. I am going to be calling my dealer in the am, but wanted to know if anyone here has had this happen. And no, it's not out of fuel!:laugh: I've searched online for any kind of answer, but can't find help. It has the Kohler 34 hp motor, 61" deck and I couldn't be happier with it.....until today.

Thanks,
    Billy

2. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

I would check all the safety switches and make sure the are all plugged in.

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Check your fuses too. Scags are known for having fuse problems. Also check your battery connections and if your battery has water check that
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Can you jump it from the solenoid?

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I know the problem, you bought a Scag :nono: But on a serious note, my exmark sometimes does this. Always seems to be the safety switch connection. Good luck. No mower should do that with so little hours.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Definately check the fuses and safety switches, but...... you did remember to push in the PTO switch (disengage) before trying to restart it didn't you?

7. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Funny you say that. Had something happen with my 1445 today, so I shut it off quick, let it cool off and tried to restart it. I turned the key a couple times before I figured it out.

Start simple and go from there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. southgalawns

southgalawns LawnSite Member
    from ga

Keep
    It
    Simply
    Stupid
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Make sure the control sticks are pushed all the way out. Mine has less then a 1/4in of movement before it prevents it from starting. It's been a few times when I thought it was all the way out but wasn't. I bumped the stick a tiny bit and thats all it takes.

10. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the following

Control Sticks are all the way out
    Pto ( deck blades) is pushed down and off
    The parking break is on
    I know this is dumb but make sure your sitting in the seat.

If you have checked all of this then it might be a bad safety switch or fuse. I would just let the dealer check this out, and not risk voiding the warranty, or damaging something important. Sorry for the problems you are having, scags a great machines!
    Posted via Mobile Device