My new compost rig

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Turf Tech, Mar 2, 2010.

1. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I marvel at guys who can build stuff like this. That unit is great!

2. marquis de sod

marquis de sod LawnSite Member

Nice job, Turf Tech! We are all drooling.
    Where did you get your conveyer belt parts?
    Can you control flow rate by the gate at the back or are you going to just start and stop it to load at wide open?
    Can't wait to see some action shots and hear how well it works!

3. Turf Tech

Turf Tech LawnSite Member

I got the conveyor parts from a local industrial parts house. I purchased the head pulley 4 rollers and the belt and a few bearings and built the rest
    the gate raises about 11" and since the conveyor is belt driven I can control the rate with the tensioner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, so are you taking orders?

5. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, it really looks great and you did a fantastic job with the design.

I suppose this is a stupid question and don't take it wrong, but have you tried it yet?

My concern looking at it is something we looked at coming out with a few years ago. We had a design that was very similar in many ways but were developing it more as a bark mulch loader than for compost. We ran into serious bridging problems. Bark mulch would bridge easier than compost so it may not be a problem for you but it is why I wanted to ask if you had tried it with a full load of material.

We showed what we had at the new product section at the Louisville Expo and had more people looking at it than anything else there but dropped the idea over the bridging problem. That unit is sitting out in the back lot rusting away.

Please don't take this as negative and I do think it has a better chance of working with compost and you did a great job with it.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Just out of curiosity, since I dont have the ability to build one from scratch and the mulch mule is way to expensive.

Has anyone given thought to a salt spreader? Since some people already have these in their equipment list would it make sense to take off the chute and use this to load compost?

It does not hold 10 yards but 4-5 would get you pretty far into the day.

I would think in theory it would work, but what is the reality?

Attached Files:

7. Turboguy

That is exactly what we did with the unit I talked about in the post ahead of yours. We were building salt spreaders and decided to convert one to a material loader.

We used a pickup sized (8' slide in) unit which would be 2 cubic yards but could have extension sides to hold maybe 3-4 C.Y. Still even with 2 cu yards that would be 20 loads in an Eco Lawn or Earth and Turf, and could be refilled with a skid steer quickly.

I may dig that unit out of our back lot and try it with compost this spring just to see what happens.

8. Turboguy

I will add a little more info on what we did in case someone has an old salt spreader sitting around and wants to try it. We built it without the chute and spinner, made the opening larger and added angle iron to the slats so it would grab more material. To load something like an eco lawn it might have to be raised up. We were trying to load wheel barrows which are of course lower.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, awesome work to be able to fabricate something like that in your shop.

I can't believe you used that paint on it though...I don't know for sure but I've always assumed that color is really expensive because all the tractors and mowers painted that color sure are! :laugh:

10. Turf Tech

Turf Tech LawnSite Member

I dont see why one of those with the spinner removed wouldnt work. I dont know how wide the belt is or if there is any kind of agitator in it. It looks like it could be a good starting point. You will have to make a few more trips to your compost supplier but it still has to be faster than a shovel.