My new dump truck

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jul 30, 2005.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

First Chevy i've ever been able to claim.. I've had two Ford trucks, now two Dodges, and now a Chevy. I've seen a few Dodge grain trucks around (same age as this) that I could make mine but this was cheaper than anything else I could find and its definately got soul & personality. It was a tanker for a volunteer fire department its first 20 years, rarely used at all.

Its a 1966 Chevy C60 2 ton with a 292 straight six (4.1 liter I think), 4 spd transmission with a 2 speed rear end. 12' flatbed with 4' sides and a huge cylinder under it to dump it (PTO drive). Neat old truck and very cheap. Its gonna be my leaf rig, mass mulch rig (for anything that would require more than you could put in a pickup and trailer in one trip), gravel hauler, scrap and junk hauler, whatever truck... :) :blob3: :cool2:

IMG00008_resized_2.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

another shot of this magnificent beauty... LOL

IMG00007_resized_2.jpg

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Neat truck. That 292 six is a great engine. I had a 1965, 1 ton, Chevy suburban with the 292 six. That engine would get down and lug when it needed to. You could count the cylinders as they fired, it would turn so slow.
    GMC trucks also had a really good V6 engine back then.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Cool, I didn't realize suburbans dated back that far :)
    I love the simplicity of this truck and my '76 Dodge, awesome :) Built tough but not complex. Thats how it should be :cool:

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

That truck is gonna GIT R DUN!

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

It definately will, but its way too old ;) :help: :p :waving: payup

7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I like it man. I assume, like here, you don't have state vehicle inspections to worry with. That's the kind of thing I would by if I needed it. :)

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Cool eric. Are you planning on doing anything to it? Any modifications or repairs required? If you have a minute, shoot a few pics of the rest of the setup.

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

That is truly a work truck, too cool, do you need a CDL license for it? Also If you ever need more power for the truck, the cumins BT 40 (same as in your dodge) would be a great upgrade. Too bad I live in Florida because I have one that is sitting on a pallet for sale. I had one in my Grumman delivery truck that I converted into a lawn truck with a ramp and all. I scrapped it though and saved the engine.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No inspections here woohoo!! Redneck's heaven!! hehehe....

Probably slap on cheap quick paint sometime. Needs a new master cylinder before it comes home (no brakes or clutch). Probably will get a new carburetor sometime this year.

No CDL, its tagged for 26k lb. although its GVW is somewhere 19k range.

As to the motor, if I could get my grimy big hands on a BT40 I would put it in my M880/PowerWagon! I really want one really bad but don't think it would go in the dump truck likely. Except that a diesel is no good for mudding (too heavy) so if it went in the M880, it would be for work truck, daily driver or truck pulling. Otherwise too much weight. So yeah i may consider a Cummins in the dump, but likely not. Too much to convert and would have to get a donor truck for the wiring and such. It won't get used much at all, and only when its making money so i'll leave it alone until this blows up or I fall onto a cheap 350 or even a big block. :)

PM me with a price on that motor in case i'm interested eventually.