My new electric OCDC from Power Chute Design

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rizzo, May 14, 2007.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Haven't had the chance to do more than a quick spin in my front yard but it works pretty smooth. I was looking at "other manual" chute blockers but my local dealers were selling them for about $289. The Power Chute Design universal kit was only $216 as they do not pre-make one for my Everride Hornet yet. They do custom cut the plate to fit your mower though and the build instructions that came with it were great. I had to mount the motor sticking up the alternate way they provide due to the stiffener on my deck is in the way. I'll let you know how it works on my accounts later in the week. And if the welds look rough thats because I put it together not the company...

mower chute 006.jpg

mower chute 009.jpg

mower chute 011.jpg

mower chute 012.jpg

mower chute 013.jpg

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What a deal, for $216 you get to weld yourself, not a simple bolt on unit? But they will custom cut the plate for you? I don't get it, if they custom cut the plate for you then, why didn't they go a step further and engineer the whole product for you? :rolleyes:

3. Rizzo

from Iowa

They don't have my brand of mower to know where the plate has to line up. They make the complete and painted ones for the more well known mowers and it is still only $250 or $270 and just bolt it on. Besides, I like the opportunity to get out the welder and put something together. I was also in a hurry to get it and went to them to pick it up since they are close to me. They did offer any help I needed but that just wouldn't have been as much fun. Very nice guys to deal with too.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry but not a good design to have it sticking out unless it tears away and can be put back on. Now if it was made out of rubber it might work.

5. Rizzo

from Iowa

To each his own then but it will do what I want it to. The grass is growing so fast I never have the rubber chute down anyway. I will use it full open or full closed most of the time. If you want rubber then you can keep the factory one...lol

6. Power Chute Design

Power Chute Design LawnSite Senior Member

What Rizzo was kind enough to refer to here is our Universal Kit that we make for folks that want a Power Chute, but we don't make one for their Brand yet. We sell ALOT of the Universal Kits which we fabricate a chute to your specs (to fit your individual mower) and all the parts in their raw form for you to align on your mower then weld and paint. The price of $215.95 reflects the chute at a price to allow for welding cost if you are welding challenged yourself.

A rubber chute doesn't work because the solid flap doesn't allow for the exhaust of the high pressure air in the deck to exit. This actually flattens the grass instead of sucking it up to allow for cutting. Power Chutes allow for the air to exit through slots, but keeps the grass inside the deck so as not to foul beds and walkways.

The full price is $259.95 with a lifetime motor warranty. But, if you prefer a solid rubber flap Exmark just came out with their MANUAL OCDC for $350.00 and it's solid.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Looks great Rizzo! I would like to do something like this on my WB, but I don't have a battery, so it would have to be manual.

8. Rizzo

from Iowa

I guess that would be a problem then...lol. What kind of WB that does not have electric start?

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

None of my Wb's have ever had ES, if I have no choice then I much prefer recoil but a dual system (ES and Recoil) sure would be super.

You can still do it, just have to use a piece of string that you attach so you can manually raise / lower it, it will take some doing to make it look pro thou.

10. Rizzo

from Iowa

Ah, I have no experience yet with WBs and I wasn't aware that that many were pull start. You could hook up the blocker with an old school mower throttle cable and that would make it look nice. I have seen other members on this site with manual ones on their WBs and they looked good.