My new gadget: wire stripping machine

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by The Lighting Geek, Nov 20, 2007.

1. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I found a rather reasonable manual wire stripper for recycling wire. Here is the scoop on it:

'The single most efficient way to recover scrap copper. With the price of salvage copper where it is today it makes sense to recycle your used copper cable and wire. Use our AW1500 Hand wire stripper to make the job easy and fast. This is the tool that everyone in the electrical and salvage industries have been waiting for.'

FEATURES

Capacity - 14 Gauge up to 1-1/2"
    Bench or Vice Mount
    4" Hand Wheel
    Fine Thread Adjustment
    Brass Input Bushings
    All Steel Locknuts
    Quick Adjustment
    tool steel cutter strip any length of wire Self-Guiding
    9 Pounds - 18 Inches Tall
    Adjustment Slots Double as Lubrication for Cutter and V-Roller

(Patent Pending)

Price: under $500.00

I bought one and will let you know how it works. Maybe someone else has one? We save all of the removed and scrap wire from our jobs and put it in a plastic trash can. When I called the recycler I found out that I can get another 1.00 per pound if it is stripped. Just thought it was a simple way to recoup some waste and such.

wire stripper.jpg

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Please keep us posted Tommy. I scrap jobs on a weekly basis, and I'm sure I could re-coup the cost of this machine very quickly with the recycled wire. Let us know what you find! :waving:

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Very cool looking tool there Tommy. Let us all know how well it works.

I have had no end of trouble trying to get rid of scrap wire here. None of the scrap guys seem to want wire in this area, meanwhile my Father-In-Law (A retired LV Landscape Lighting guy) was getting a several hundred bucks a year for his scraps in the GTA.

Even our local dump/recycling facility (waste transfer site) will not accept wire! I have had to resort to 'hiding it' at the bottom of garbage bags and taking it to the landfill. This really annoys me because it is so senseless.

One way I found to really reduce the amount of scrap wire is to switch to using only 300meter (1500 feet) spools of wire. This way I am not left with rather long pieces of unuseable wire at the end of a 75m spool. I also am pretty diligent about laying my wire runs out on the ground and cutting it to length before I dig it in.

I think that smaller operations are probably more efficient in their use of wire simply because the installer is closer to paying the bills! I have seen large companies generating huge amounts of scraps simply because the installers were rushing and probably not feeling the pain of having to pay for the wire.

Have a great day.

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Holy Crap! You can buy spools of wire that big? My laborer (excuse me, laboruer) would have a fit if I told him to handle that thing.

BTW, I've found a great wire supplier. Really soft jacket, UL listed. Let me know if you want more info.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

(try Labourer... LOL) The 300m spools are really quite nice once you get over the weight of them. I just set one up on my rack-a-tiers unit at the transformer and pull wire all day long.

As for the wire supplier you mentioned.... We have lots of great UL listed wire available here, but our ESA is making a move requiring us to use only CSA listed wire. I have used it before and it has a much thicker jacket then the the 'normal' 12/2. There is a good supply of it here, but because it has been seldom used the cost is higher then the 'normal' stuff. This should change as our market starts demanding the CSA wire.

Thanks Neighbour!

(Oh I just thought up a funny... LOL "Neigh-boor" def: a loud and rude person living adjacent to you. LOL)

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

This is a tool I've been waiting for!! Please let us know how it goes Tommy!!

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats just what I need I usually burn my wire, where did you get it from, who makes it?

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Jeez James, Have the liberal environmental nutjobs in Canada banned you guys from recycling now? I guess that operation is not GREEN enough for them. Well, don't feel bad they have infected us with their nonsensical, country destroying, poison to, and we are beginning to see it's effects in America. How ridiculous is it that you have to hide an expensive natural, recyclable, resource underneath "trash" just to get rid of it. Sounds like they want the trash more than the copper. This sounds like someone has infected them with a mental illness. I don't understand.

9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

That units not bad, but a lot of money for low voltage lighting cable. I could see if you were a line man or something.

Heres some smaller ones that may work:

Auto-Size Squeeze-n-Strip Flat Cable Stripper

Just feed cable through the front and squeeze the handle to strip cable in the middle or end. The tool's high alloy steel blades automatically adjust for cable size and pull insulation off the cable. Perfect for stripping flat cable up to 15/32" wide with 18-10 AWG solid and stranded conductors. Strips both the outer sheathing and inner insulation without nicking the wire. Ideal for Romex, telephone wire, and ribbon cables. Body is thermoplastic. Overall length is 6 3/4".

Comfort-Grip Cable Jacket Stripper

Specially designed phenolic handle fits the shape of your hand and prevents skinned knuckles caused by hitting the cable sheath. Use to strip sheaths from plastic- and fabric-covered solid and stranded wire up to 1" OD. Includes two extra blades. Overall length is 6".

8079kp1l.gif

7298kp1l.gif

10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I found a similar one thats powered by a electric drill.. looks like this one but 1/2 price.