1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new GrassHopper mid mount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doublesharp, May 11, 2010.

1. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

that dixie looks super plain. Maybe its just me but man
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's the Estate model. Long before all of the other manufacturers jumped on the consumer level ZTR Dixie had the Estate. It was a completely stripped down mower. It didn't even have stainless steel. It had a standard seat with no armrests, standard engine, painted foot pan and body panels, a pain in the ass to adjust deck (compared to other Dixies), smaller tires and stuff like that. Estate mowers always had the red painted frame. It was priced at $4995.00.
  3. Chadly1980

Chadly1980 LawnSite Member

That thing looks great! I want to know more info about it badly. I wish grasshopper would update their site. I am in the market for a 225 with a 52" deck...but this thing sounds more in my budget. I really want to do a comparison of the two side by side to see what the differences are between them. It's for my personal property and that's it...so i really don't need a 225, so this 226V should more like what I need. Please post any other comments or knowledge about the two machines!
  4. CaptPat

CaptPat LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 329B dealer demo and I really like it, good luck with your new 223V
  5. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Thread back from the dead. The 226V is on the website now. I'm really happy with my machine. There was a recall to put a shield on the gas tank under the seat. Said a fan blade could fly off and gash the tank. Dealer came to my house and took care of it. And it does have 5 grease fittings.

My old Dixie was a 2000 anniversary model. I paid 4995, same price as the first ones were in 1980. It was stripped down but did have the same wheel pumps and the velvet touch steering. I kept that 17hp Kohler command at about 3750 no load rpms and it was a cutting machine. Only had a 3 gallon gas tank and it would beat you to death with those little tires and hard seat. Still, it gave me 10 years of good service and I got $3100 for it on a fast sale, out of my front yard.

I've added a hitch and a tiny tach and, of course, my memory foam pillow.

6. malinois1

malinois1 LawnSite Member

Where did you get the hitch?
  7. doublesharp

8. malinois1

malinois1 LawnSite Member

Thanks! I just bought one! Any pics of the tach?
  9. doublesharp

10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Im reviving this old thread to see how you feel about your 226v after 3 yrs?
    how does it perform on hills?