My new GrassHopper mid mount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doublesharp, May 11, 2010.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Are you still a ghopper dealer and how are the 226v holding up?

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

One of my best sellers in th gh line. They are redesigned this year, high end cordova seat, cyclonic briggs, alot beefier looking machine holding up very well for both home and commercial use. Trannys surprise me to be pump and wheel motors seperate on a $7000 machine and not be integrated like everyone else now.. 2 grease zerts was right, gh went to greasable spindles now. Foldable rops is an option...

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It may seem petty but GrassHoppers don't do a thing for me. The reason is the color. There's a very good reason car and truck manufacturers don't sell tan or brown vehicles. Vehicle with those colors are always the last to move off of the lot. It's hard to make those colors look brand new.

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

So you're judging the book by it's cover?

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

This comment is just like when people say they don't Dixie Choppers, because they "look funny".
    Grasshopper makes great machines. I have always liked the colors they use. They are a nice change from all those other red or orange mowers. The brown and tan colors don't fade out nearly as bad as red and orange. A little wax and touchup paint will keep the Grasshoppers, (which are powder-coated), looking like new for many years.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree with all points. And yes, Dixies do get judged by their looks and not their performance. And I'm sure that GrassHopper makes a great mower. But I just don't care for the mowers based solely on their paint choice.

7. malinois1

malinois1 LawnSite Member

Im not the op, but I also bought a 226V 3 years ago. I still love mine as much as the day I bought it. 250 hrs on it so far and the only work I have done on it is changed the Oil, filters,,blades, spark plugs, and greased the 2 zerts every 10 hrs or so. I have never even changed a belt or spindle yet and they still look like they are in decent condition. This is by far the best mower I have ever owned. In fact my next mower will very likely be another hopper, though I will likely get a 25hp diesel engine instead.

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Thanks I was seriously looking at them and really like them but I just didn't have enough dealer support to put my hands on one. So I went with the Exmark Pioneer S which I have good dealer support and I love the mower.

9. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

but they always look good dirty :cool2::cool2:

10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

About 35-40 years ago I was surprised to find out that people in some countries eat chocolate covered insects.....and one of their favorites was chocolate covered grasshoppers.

So, you can understand (because of the color and name) why every time I see one of these mowers, I think "chocolate covered grasshopper"! :laugh: