my new heavy duty hitch hauler

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smitty58, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if this picture will post but I'll give it a try. This is my new heavy duty hitch hauler I had built to carry my quad.

25%hhaul2.jpg

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

thats pretty nice. there was a thread a long time ago asking the best way to haul a quad and plow. i suggested the exact set up you have. looks pretty cool.

3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get the quad on and off?

4. Smitty58

Rich's Lawn Care - I've got ramps that I put down and drive it off.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Smitty, I'm guessing it was custom made. What did it cost you, and what is the total weight of the hauler and quad on that hitch?

That's how I'm figuring on carrying a couple snowblowers next winter. I was thinking something with ramps built right in, on hinges.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

What's the weight rating on the hitch on your truck. I build my own receivers so I run them to about right above the axle to allow maximum strength. I seen one awhile ago that was made out of 3/8"x 3" tube. He was using it to pull big boats.

7. Smitty58

It was custom made by a local welder. I paid him $200. I had priced the material for $130. so I think it was worth $70 to have it built by a pro. I'm not sure what the capacity is or how you could even figure it out. I have a class 3 or 4 receiver ,not sure which. It is a stock receiver ,what ever that is. The thing probably weighs 125-150 lbs. ,and my quad with plow weighs approx 525 lbs. I would have liked some built in ramps but the quad actually hangs over a little so ramps mounted to it would not work. I just keep some ramps in the bed. If you are interested in building one the specs are:
    63" wide x 46" long.
    2" square tubing coming all the way out (approx 53")
    2" angle iron around perimeter
    1" square tubing for middle supports
    expanded metal floor (mesh)
    I could email more pics if anyone wants them.
    Thanks,
    Steve

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

wow! i couldn't imagine hanging 550 lb's off the back of a f150 like that. I hope its built like a brick sh1thouse.

9. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

man that thing must bottom out in back pretty easy it dosent even look like you could clear that driveway on the way out