My new JD Z930M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DawsonLC, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

In average, normal conditions, I get right at 1.5 GPH from my 2012 Z950A. That has held for two seasons now. I can do slightly better, and slightly worse depending on the cutting conditions. If you are going to run baggers on them a lot or all the time, you might want to spend a little more for the 950. The added power will come in handy.

2. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

See that's my problem I have the 950 from a couple years ago which sucks fuel. I would say it probably uses 2 gallons an hour if not more to run the older 950 with the 31 hp Kwai engine.

3. DawsonLC

DawsonLC LawnSite Member

I'll try and get you something but it will be about Wed. before I mow again.

4. DawsonLC

DawsonLC LawnSite Member

I think that sounds about right Ridin Green. The one time I did check the fuel consumption was in an overgrown yard and I spent lots of time double cutting. About 2 acres and it took right at
    4 gals to fill back up. BUT it was a very rough yard to cut and I know it gets better than that with normal use.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'm not saying that you are wrong or don't know what you were really getting/using per hour, but I think many people think they are doing worse than they really are that run the 2011 and earlier 950's simply because they are labeled 31 instead of the true rating of 27 that is on 2012 and newer models. The engines have always had 27 hp, so for yours to do so much worse is odd. I know several guys with 950's and they all do about the same as me when actually checked over several fill ups.
    The 930's use the same exact engine as the 950's. The ONLY difference is that the throttle plate opens farther in the 950 version to allow more fuel into the engine for more HP. The difference in actual fuel use between the two is minimal.