My New Mower!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, May 8, 2003.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I thought I'd share some pictures of my new mower! I am so excited about it! LOL :p

It's a 16" Reel mower. It cuts like a charm. The only real advantage is that the cut is nearly perfectly flat. So now I have the most "crisp" looking lawn on the block. The pictures below don't quite demonstate how nice and flat the cut is, but you get the idea. It looks much better in person.

[​IMG]

2. JimLewis

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

wow, must take you hours to mow that:D what happend to the older seris trucks? i always liked the look of them.....great looking lawn

4. JimLewis

The disadvantages I've found to using the reel mower:

* I have to mow every two days now (no bag)
    * It doesn't stripe at all (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)
    * It's only 16" - and you have to go over every swipe two times to make it perfect. So mowing takes a little longer.
    *Not really practical for mowing clients homes for the above reasons.

The big advantages are:

* Mulching helps the lawn / soil
    * No gas, oil, etc.
    * Always have a picture perfect lawn
    * Nothing to bag
    * Able to cut much lower than with a standard circular-blade mower without looking scalded
    * It leaves the blades of grass with a much cleaner cut.

Anyway, it's just something I am trying out for a while. I've only been using it two weeks at this point. I always wanted one and I finally found one for a really good price so I figured I'd try it out for a while on just my front yard and see how it works. So far, I like the results. It's kinda fun.

5. JimLewis

Still have them. We have 4 1972 Chevy Trucks that all look identical. Kind of our trademark nowadays. Everyone around here knows us by those. That's just my personal rig for going out and giving estimates, checking on crews, doing errands, etc. I don't mind paying for luxury for myself. Especially since I am in the truck 4-8 hours every day. But I can't spend that much on ALL of our trucks. So it's just my own personal truck that's new.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The cut of a reel mower is the best no doubt about that. I have one older customer that used to insist that I used a reel mower on their property. I used this as an excuse to break out one of the older Gravelys and use the reel attachment. That used to be real fun but meant another walk behind had to be loaded on the trailer.

Gravely_Man

7. Jim I use a reel mower on a section of our front lawn.Which is creeping bent. I think I will invest in a power reel mower which will have more blades than a standard reel mower.More blades the finer the cut will be.Beautiful lawn Jim

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Ahh, that must be one of those new-fangled reel mowers....no big wooden 'rolling pin' roller in the rear. :D

Lawn looks fantastic, Jim.

Are you going to convert your crews over to these new, innovative machines??? ;)

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here is a pic of my new mower!!!!

It's not the Walker, but what's on top of the Walker.
    I just pin him up on a neighbors front lawn for a few days and move him to the backyard. Heck of a deal, will pay for himself in the first week.

Actually I bought him to raise for slaughter, but after the first day I have kinda takin' a liking to him.

MATT

my new mowing goat.jpg

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Jim,

Thanks for the great laugh!