My New Pricing Technique

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman83, Jun 17, 2008.

1. grassman83

grassman83 LawnSite Member

To develop some level of consistency I felt like I needed to come up with a standard.
    What I do is when I get a request to quote I get their address and go to the county appraisal records. I take their lot sqft subtract it from the house sqft.
    I take that number and mulitply it by .oo4. That is how I get my price. If the lot has alot of difficult areas to mow then I round up. If not, then I leave the price as is. I have a minimum of $25 to keep from getting to low. I have been using it a while and seems to work good. So for the area I work it is mainly between 25-35 per lawn.

Lot sqft 12000 - House 2500= 9500 X's .004= $38/cut
    What do you think.

2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

if it works for you doen't seem to easy for me

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

YA i didnt go to MIT either i know the time it takes me to do certain tasks and mowing quotes after seeing the property i can give those quotes in mysleep i know what i need to make. not to many people like my quotes normally i am on the highside.

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

If it works for u. Great... I like to see and meet the future customer.. Walk the lawn, talk about the things we see and want out of it.... Then slam down the price.

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

huh?what was that again.seems kind of complicated.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If it works for you, great. But, in my case that wouldn't work at all. I some 9500 ft properties that are xxxx amount then I have others that while they are the same sq. footage they might be almost double because of the amount of trimming, equipment used and other factors.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

crazy idea. Drive out to the property. Meet the prospect, let them get to know, inspect, and trust you a little. Look at the lawn and determine, based on experience, how many man-hours you'll need to mow the lawn. Then plug that number into your formula for what you need to make per-hour on-site and add a trip charge based on your average cost of getting around. Fudge the number up or down a little if the lawn looks particularly difficult or easy or convenient. (flat open rectangle of grass vs ornately landscaped sloping lawn where you have to carry a 21" mower down a flight of stairs to reach the back yard, for example)

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! Works GREAT! Uh,..that is....until yo find yourself trimming 600 linear ft. of fencing, going around the shed, the birdbath, 3 beds, 4 trees, and half a dozen rocks and such. Oh yeah,...let's not forget the 8000 sq. ft. that is joined by a narrow area that only the push mower will fit through.
    Like was stated before,.....just look at the prop., and always know. There are no magic formulas.

9. railman

railman LawnSite Member

that's exactly how I like to do it.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

sounds pretty confusing but whatever if it works for you