1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new ride!!-Scag diesel STT31BSD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Sep 16, 2009.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Hey guys, I just wanted to show off my new ride-well, new to me. I hadn't planned to buy anything at the end of the season but I couldn't pass this up. I had pretty much decided on a Hustler SuperZ with a 72" rear discharge but I heard a ton of negative comments on the rear discharge. Honestly, I wanted to stay with Scag-I have two great dealers 30 minutes from me and I like having the same brand and same parts. Anyway, my idea machine has always been a Scag 72" with a diesel but I didn't want to drop $16,000 on a new one. I also didn't want to have to take a CAT to a CAT dealer and have them be reluctant to work on it and have to wait forever to get it back. The guy who had this machine mows for a living and has 5-6 of them + he trades every 2-3 yrs.:confused:This machine has a Daihatsu 31 diesel and 393 hours(Practically new). I bought it for $9900+$1200shipping, which is a steal compared to a new one. It came out of Wisconsin. Just wanted to share. I'll be mowing a lot of grass next year!!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

SCAG DIESEL 001.jpg

SCAG DIESEL 002.jpg

SCAG DIESEL 003.jpg

SCAG DIESEL 004.jpg
  2. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

That looks sweet! Sounds like you got one heck of a deal too. Hit us up with some feedback later.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like an awesome mower and in great shape too. It looks like it will mow ALOT of grass. Congrats on the purchase!

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Enjoy that sweet ride, Scags are hard to beat. And you made the right call not going with cat! Its just to hard to get them worked on.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

CAT's are great engines! The only down side is getting them worked on, the mower dealer can't touch the engine and I believe can only change the oil and a couple filters.
  6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yea, that was the deciding factor for me on the CAT. I could just see my mower sitting at a CAT dealer for 3-4 weeks and I"m drowning trying to get my stuff done. It's not like they can give you a loaner either. With the CAT, most of the brands were out of the question. I started looking at grasshopper with the Kubota and they were $15,000+ also. The Hustler with the diesel got some bad reviews + it's only 25HP and this thing is 31HP. It seems like anything under 30HP is getting bad reviews about not having enough power. I feel like I made the right decision, especially since I have 60 acres between only 2 of my jobs. I"ll see what it's made of!!!:clapping::clapping:
  7. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Nice rig, Jonny. I bet it's going to serve you well for a long time

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I should of went into more detail, I do not belive cats are bad engiens at all. Im jsut a dealer and I hate that if I sell a customer a cat that I cant be the one doing the repair on it.

But they are fantastic engines. Although the best diesels we have sold so far are either kubota or yanmar. We just dont see many problems with thoes at all.
  9. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 disesls. Youll love it. Sips fuel.
  10. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

that's one big mower. Looks good!