1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new toys!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Matts lawn care, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Here is one of my two new toys. A Craftsman 40" front mount dethatcher. Yes you heard me Craftsman. It was built pretty well all I need to do is add support in a few places. Easy engagement and out of the way. it does make my mower a bit long but its worth it. my second toy is a Craftsman 42" tow behind core aerator. It was the most heavy duty I could find. my plan for this is add 2 caster wheels to the front a mounting bar and a liner actuator. basically another version of the JRCO aerator. Best of all I got all this for $350. (sears had a sale!) Here are the pictures of the dethatcher sorry it was kind of dark when I took them. Tell me what you think.

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Wrong time of the season for dethatching right? I do it in the spring. But still looks good but also funny with one middle wheel. Beat the price of a Jrco by far.
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, they look like the perfect fit on that mower
  4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Any advantage to the front mount vs the rear tow detacher??I would like to see the aerator is you have a pic.
  5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

was that a serious question, do you like to have to go back over it a second time to pick up the thatch or all in one pass
  6. Matts lawn care

from MD

Redmax Man: I dethatch in spring also but could not resist trying it out.

Capemay Eagle: Yes with the dethatcher in the front I can dethatch mow and bag thatch all at once! I will take some pictures of the aerator when I build it tomorrow. It wont be done for at least a week or 2 because I still have to order caster wheels and figure out how much travel I need for the actuator.
  7. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

those thatchers are cool and nifty ... i just bought one myself .. and put it on the front of my 36' walk behind .... although i got my on sale for $127.00 .... makes my job alot easier then pullin one and then having to go back over it and collect up the grass ....
  8. Matts lawn care

from MD

Yep I got the same sale you did. Nothing like cutting your work time in 1/2 and still getting payed the same!
  9. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

Lookin good Matt. But how do you collect the thatch? Hows that RTZ holding up for ya?
  10. Matts lawn care

from MD

Its getting me there. I broke the cable that holds the left side of the deck for the second time Friday so I decided to re-design it and use a chain instead. It is running strong with 140 hours. Next year it will become my backup mower. I have a bagger to collect thatch.