1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. senor plow

senor plow LawnSite Member

Hey, My name is Jason Shemnitz and this is my first time posting on this site. I just bought an 1984 GMC Jimmy full size (350) with fisher 7 foot plow. I have a contract to plow some streets for my town and I am also in the process of picking up some driveways. This is my first year plowing. I am 20 years old.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Is anyone on this site in Easton area of massachusetts?

I have plowed about an inch of slush so far this season which is actually my first time plowing.
  2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ever seen the ad with the guy in the leather jacket and sunglasses in the over stuffed chair hanging on to the arms and sitting in front of the speakers with his hair being blown back,well thats going to be you after asking a question like that here.So hang on, good and bad here it comes.
  3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Congrats on starting out, young.

Make sure ya have the correct insurance if ya haven't yet. The just sit back and make the money.

4. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you're familiar with those streets you'll be plowing.

Make sure you take care of your vehicle and yourself. How ya make lots of money!

5. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Watch out for raised manhole covers !!!

Good Luck!
  6. well you are embarking into another land. some days it is so easy others you gotta wonder what you got into. it is easy to tell a good plower from the amatuer. loose the tailgate, hard to see over it, have good snow shovel, put on a strobe light on top, some town now require it, take your cover alls in truck, break down and could be hours before you fix it or get tow. Have tools, ialways put the tool that did a repair right in the truck. put a munchie bag in glove box, flashlight and 500,000 watt hand held beacon light helps when cant see curbs or drives in blinding snow. I also put two amber fog lights front and rear of truck, they cut right thru any snow. Keep bottle of go juice for tranny and plow pump. Now go to work with list and cell phone coffee and goo days sleep. sometimes the weather forecasters predict snow you dont see it but some other part of your route gets it. i have drove my route six extra times for nothing but the one time you miss can loose customers . good luck push often and may the force be with you. wish i had some help when i went to the school of hard knocks all alone...jammin