My New Ultravac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I must say I am a little frustrated with the one dimensionality of the UV. It is not easy to go from yard to yard and side discharge on one and bag on another. It is a pain.. Nothing seems to do what you need.. Sooo of to the hardware store.
    I purchase a 30 deg elbow stove pipe, and 2 small rubber bungees. After drilling 2 holes in the pipe, I fastened the pipe over the UV discharge and attached both bungees.
    I can now discharge up, away, down by just rotating the pipe.
    First day doing both will be tomorrow.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My biggest gripe about the UV is the size and weight of the hopper! It's a 2 man job, and with it on and doing what your doing its still a BIG hunk of bagger protruding out the back. They should'a went HIGHER with bags and not W I D E R.

Is yours on a full size (3 bag) or HP (2 bag)? Because NONE of what I said holds true on the smaller one.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tommy you speak the truth.
    John

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Strawbridge

If I read your post right, you're gonna discharge thru the UV Blower?
    Let me know how that works out....... might be good for scattering clippings in heavy conditions, Otherwise, I would think it easier to spend the 5 minutes (or less) to pull off the tube, and the impeller housing, and go back to discharging...........
    Post some info of the results of your day tomorrow!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I thought that housing just lifts and comes right off in about a 30 seconds? Most guys just leave the rear part on. Sometimes, I've saw them with the bags removed, and just the "hood" on.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They just leave it on cause its so darn big and heavy! But it gets in the way a lot mowing too. I guess all bagging mowers do too, all the way down to Walkers.

I wish they would have made the impeller horizontally shafted (less overall width) and made the rear taller and narrower. And of course, make it able to be removed by ONE person.

I have ran mine minus the bags to do a preliminary chop-up job. Works well, and as far as I can tell, its rather safe in my mind. That or I'll let the thing fill up and clog, and then I'll mow all the leaves and then unclog and suck them up properly.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tommy
    If they made it like scags then we couldn't get close to mulch beds.
    If you look at even how trac-vac does it you hit alot of stuff trying to get close.
    John

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If you think that's a pain try and remove the Trac-Vac unit by yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can yank the tube off pretty quick and side discharge but when I need to get in a gate I can't do it. It's definately a 2 man job to remove it and 2 to get it back on, this does not happen in the field.

9. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

We have the 2 bagger unit and leave the bags on the machine all the time. They have gotten a little abuse though. Takes maybe a minute to pull the blower unit off and remove the tube. I wouldn't want to mow all the time with the blower unit on just to side discharge. I would think it would be a waste of fuel and more wear and tear on the unit.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me what you guys think of this idea...
    What if you could fabricate something, so you could easily remove the whole rear unit by not even having to lift it? Here's my idea. Using a set of casterwheels (inflatable tires - like found on dollys and fronts of walkbehinds), you could weld together a solid mount configuration shaped kind of like a II or an H shape, only have the center a bit more re-enforced like with a couple of vertical braces, an X configuration, or whatever. This would connect to the bottom of the frame mount of the UV by using a hollow tube pin/hinge set-up, and would pivot up underneath the carriage (or back of Lazer when mounted on the Lazer, and in use. The wheels would be mounted wide enough - as to "straddle" the bottom of the machine, giving it all the clearance it would ever need. When you wanted to remove the UV unit, simply remove the key(s), allowing the casterwheel assembly to pivot down, put the keys into the bracketed holes (similar to a spring shackle) to lock the caster in place (their "down" position), unbolt the UV unit from the Lazer, pull it back, and it rolls right back with the unit resting onto the caster wheels. You then just roll it wherever you want to go with it. Kind of like a little "landing gear". I KNOW it can be done... Hey, what's the ph. # to "Monster Garage"? ;)